🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I end a contract before submitting anythi...
Page options
Guoqing Z Community Member

Can I end a contract before submitting anything?

Hi all.

The other day I got a fixed-price offer: translating English posts into Chinese for a client every other day, and $25 monthly. After several days, I found the work was much more complicated than I thought and occupied much of my time. So I want to end the contract in advance without any charge from the client, though I have translated for many posts.

My question is: Can I end a contract before submitting anything? Can the client give me negative feedback on this?

Thanks so much.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Will L Community Member

Regardless how a contract is ended (by you or the client), the client can always leave feedback for you.

The client's public feedback will not be public if no money is paid to you on the project, but the client's private feedback will be included in the calculation of your Job Success Score. We have been told here that private client feedback is far more important in the JSS calculation than is public feedback, so do your best to leave the client happy with the work you did for free.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Guoqing,

Thank you for reaching out to us. A closed contract without earnings will not show on your profile. While you can end the contract as you wish, I suggest you still communicate with your client about this so that they have a heads up and can find a replacement right away. Here's more information regarding ending a contract.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thanks so much, AJ. 

Muhammad Yasir M Community Member

Hi: 

Annie Jane B

Will L Community Member

Regardless how a contract is ended (by you or the client), the client can always leave feedback for you.

The client's public feedback will not be public if no money is paid to you on the project, but the client's private feedback will be included in the calculation of your Job Success Score. We have been told here that private client feedback is far more important in the JSS calculation than is public feedback, so do your best to leave the client happy with the work you did for free.

Got it. Thanks for your kind reminder, Will.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members