🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I receive a product for development?
Page options
Lucas Z Community Member

Can I receive a product for development?

A client wants to send me a product so I can connect to my Android for development. Cannot develop the app without interfacing with the product via USB. Can I receive it? What if I have to pay taxes, can he send me money so I can pay it?

3 REPLIES 3
Martina P Community Member

Lucas Z wrote:

A client wants to send me a product so I can connect to my Android for development. Cannot develop the app without interfacing with the product via USB. Can I receive it? What if I have to pay taxes, can he send me money so I can pay it?

What kind of taxes do you expect to pay when you receive a product? You mean custom duties? Yes, he can send you money to pay for that, but only through upwork. 

Preston H Community Member

Yes, you may receive a product sent to you directly.

That is fine.

You do NOT need to pay taxes on the product or tool that the client sends you directly.

I hired a man to paint my house.

I bought the paint myself.

The painter did NOT need to pay taxes on the paint.

(Note that when I bought the paint at the paint store, I paid sales tax on the purchase.)

Can the client send you money to purchase the product?
Yes. But ONLY if the client sends the money THROUGH Upwork. There is a "Pay expense" or "reimburse expense" tool that the client may use to do that.

KEEP IN MIND that if the client pays you $100 to reimburse your purchase, Upwork keeps a 20% fee. So you will only receive $80.

Is it okay for the cilent to send you money directly, such as through PayPal or a check?
No.
If you did that, it would be grounds for having your Upwork account suspended or terminated.

Petra R Community Member

Preston H wrote:

I hired a man to paint my house.

I bought the paint myself.

The painter did NOT need to pay taxes on the paint.

Preston, he likely means import taxes, which can be steep and are asked for at customs. The painter analogy is completely irrelevant.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members