🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I refuse work that I am not comfortable w...
Page options
337461c3
Community Member

Can I refuse work that I am not comfortable with!

Hi all, I'm a newbie to Upwork. I just applied for a new job which was fixed price and seemed ok for the description of work. The job poster then messaged me and just sent across the files with the work description (with no other conversation). Having gone through the job requirements, I feel that it is not fairly priced for the amount of effort and I would not like to take it up. Can I refuse to take on that project? I read in some other posts that if a contract has not been created, you can say No to projects, but I'm not sure if a contract has been created since the job poster already sent me the files (?!) Since this is my first project, will it impact my ratings and feedback on the platform? Any help on this is appreciated!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
c8d4c409
Community Member

Hi Tanya, i am a newbie as well. Same thing happened to me. A person asked me to create design of a card for athletic brand (spray for outsoles) prior to approving my proposal and creating agreement:( I can see they are interviewing 17 people. Which suggests to me they are hinting the design, and will only pay one chosen designer. I have contacted @upwork help centre and they said this is unethical and illegal, and become ded to flag (report) that client. 

For your question about pricing. I'm getting very discouraged as I see some job posts for a whole website design for as low as $30 with a note they they are looking for someone who is after good feedback. I also found many jobs eg. Logo as low as $5 ... Crazy huh? 

magedmahfouz
Community Member

JSS makes freelancers slaves for the clients.I hope upwork fix the JSS to include only thr public feedback and to be revised by AI for the chat between client and freelancer

Also JSS cannot stay for 24 months.this period is very long and it actually blacklist the frrelancer from working. Upwork need to shorten this period to 1 month cool down. Clients uses JSS to make freelancers do work for free

Client change his opinion and mark freelancer as non complied which decrease JSS significantly making freelancer cannot get a job afterwards at all!!!!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

You can refuse to work for any client at any time for any reason.

If you have not agreed to a contract with a client then they are not yet a "client" of yours in the Upwork system, regardless whether you have spoken to them, received files from them, etc., You have no obligation whatsoever to ever agree to a contract with that client and no contract = no client feedback. 

If Upwork's system shows you do have a contract in place with a client, that client will have the ability (for up to 14 days after you close the contract) to leave feedback for you no matter whether you or the client closes the contract.

If the client leaves negative feedback for you, you can refund all the money the client paid you and their client's public feedback for you will be removed from your profile. However, the client cannot change or remove the private feedback for you and that can affect your Job Success Score.

So, be very careful about agreeing to an Upwork contract before you have all the information you need to begin a new project.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members