🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can one remove feedback for a contract cancel...
Page options
therishabhpandey
Community Member

Can one remove feedback for a contract cancelled by freelancer (work no longer required - $0)

Assuming all criteria like Top Rated etc. are met. Can this be done? If yes, is that contract completely disregarded in the JSS?

This is my first question here, please let me know if I can provide more info.
Thanks in advance.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "What happens when the client is not responsive or inactive for 14 days and leaves no feedback?"

Then nothing happens.

The contract is closed.

The client has LOST his opportunity to leave feedback.

We previously were more concerned about zero-feedback contracts.

But it seems that unless you have an overwhelmingly high proportion of contracts without feedback, that this is a negligible factor in determining JSS.

So don't worry about it.

Having NO feedback is better than having bad feedback.

If 14 days goes by, then it means the client can't leave you public feedback OR private feedback..

There would be absolutely no reason to issue a refund for the purpose of optimizing JSS. Issuing a complete refend would have a negative effect on JSS.

re: "can I issue a refund in such a case?"

I always have the opportunity to issue a refund as long as the time period for doing so has not run out.

But there would be no tactical reason for you to issue a refund to a contract that is closed and the client never left feedback.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

If no money is paid out for a contract, or if refunds are issued such that zero net dollars are earned, then it is impossible for the job to appear in the freelancer's work history on their profile page.

This would not, however, eliminate the impact of private feedback on the freelancer's JSS.

- Does it mean that removing the feedback works only for the public feedback?

- What happens when the client is not responsive or inactive for 14 days and leaves no feedback? Also, can I issue a refund in such a case? 

- I'm trying to get a sense of how much this will hurt the JSS.

My job history: 15 Jobs, 13 - 5 stars, 1 - 4 stars and this. 

Thank for the help.

re: "What happens when the client is not responsive or inactive for 14 days and leaves no feedback?"

Then nothing happens.

The contract is closed.

The client has LOST his opportunity to leave feedback.

We previously were more concerned about zero-feedback contracts.

But it seems that unless you have an overwhelmingly high proportion of contracts without feedback, that this is a negligible factor in determining JSS.

So don't worry about it.

Having NO feedback is better than having bad feedback.

If 14 days goes by, then it means the client can't leave you public feedback OR private feedback..

There would be absolutely no reason to issue a refund for the purpose of optimizing JSS. Issuing a complete refend would have a negative effect on JSS.

re: "can I issue a refund in such a case?"

I always have the opportunity to issue a refund as long as the time period for doing so has not run out.

But there would be no tactical reason for you to issue a refund to a contract that is closed and the client never left feedback.

Preston H wrote:

If no money is paid out for a contract, or if refunds are issued such that zero net dollars are earned, then it is impossible for the job to appear in the freelancer's work history on their profile page.

This would not, however, eliminate the impact of private feedback on the freelancer's JSS.

If the OP removes a nothing-paid contract using his perk, then I thought there would be no private feedback or impact on his JSS. Is that not correct?

Thanks for the clarifying question, Christine. 

If a freelancer uses their Top Rated perk to remove a contract from their Job Success Score (JSS) calculation, and/or from their profile, the contract will be excluded from the JSS calculation. 

If the freelancer doesn't use the perk to remove the feedback from their calculation, the contract, since it doesn't have any money paid, will not be visible in the freelancer's Work History. The private feedback for the contract will be factored in the score's calculation. 

Rishabh, you may want to read this help article for more information on how the Top Rated perk works. These help articles here, and here, will hopefully shed some light on how the JSS is calculated, and what factors affect your score's calculation.

~ Avery
Upwork

Christine A wrote:

Preston H wrote:

If the OP removes a nothing-paid contract using his perk, then I thought there would be no private feedback or impact on his JSS. Is that not correct?

Preston completely missed the actual question, which was

"Can one remove feedback for a contract cancelled by freelancer (work no longer required - $0)"

The answer is simply "Yes, one can indeed use the perk to remove the impact of an unpaid contract with no or poor private feedback from the JSS calculation!"

Whether it is sensible to do so before seeing the impact such a contract will have on one's JSS, is another question.

The impact of a nothing paid contract with no or poor private feedback on a profile with so few outcomes overall could be (but isn't necessarily) significant.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Rishabh P wrote:
Assuming all criteria like Top Rated etc. are met. Can this be done? If yes, is that contract completely disregarded in the JSS?

This is my first question here, please let me know if I can provide more info.
Thanks in advance.

I think you can do this, yes, as long as you haven't used the perk recently. 

But 14 days is too soon to assume that your client is never going to get back to you. I'd give it at least another week. Plus it takes a lot longer than that for a nothing-paid contract to have any impact on your JSS, so there's no need to worry about it yet.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members