cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling a project

Highlighted
Dan D Member Since: Sep 18, 2018
1 of 4

I have a client that I have done several projects with, on the same software. After doing some development on the latest project, we've discovered a wrinkle in how the device I'm communicating with operates. Nothing is solid yet, but so far there is no way for me to work around it, and there may be no way for them to fix the device.

I have a great relationship with this client and I am getting the feeling that we may have to cancel this project as if it never happened. I did a little bit of work, but it's essentially not functional with this flaw. Because I want to be amicable, I'm sure there is more work coming, and this is not the fault of either of us, what is the proper procedure for releasing their escrow and not delivering anything? Although the job was not successful, saying it was unsuccessful would wrongly hurt my credibility, as it suggests I screwed up. It would also be dishonest for the client to say it was successful.

Nothing is set in stone yet(they still may be able to fix the device), but I just want to confidently know what to tell them to do if we want to do an even split on this task. This is a situation where they wouldn't want to hurt my feedback because we mutually encountered an unknown.

Thanks,

Dan

Ace Contributor
Joseph M Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 4

I believe there is an "other" option when you end a contract - that would be a good choice.  There are a few other options as well, one being "the client no longer needed the work done" (which is partially true, I suppose).  Make sure you get some payment for the job if you haven't already (even if it's a small amount), as receiving no payment and closing a job hurts your Job Success Score.

Dan D Member Since: Sep 18, 2018
3 of 4

Thanks, Joseph. The "no longer needed the work done" option sounds like an accurate description. I do not wish to demand a payment. This was a mutual screwup, although they may still offer something just because of the time spent. I didn't do a lot before I encountered this wall. We both knew the risks and that we were both working in uncharted territories. The "no longer needed" option would still require monetary transaction to be non-impactful?

Can someone from Upwork confirm this?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 4

Dan D wrote:

Thanks, Joseph. The "no longer needed the work done" option sounds like an accurate description. I do not wish to demand a payment. This was a mutual screwup, although they may still offer something just because of the time spent. I didn't do a lot before I encountered this wall. We both knew the risks and that we were both working in uncharted territories. The "no longer needed" option would still require monetary transaction to be non-impactful?

The reason for cancelling the contract is irrelevant. The feedback (public and private if something is paid, private only if nothing is paid) is what matters, along with the fact that "nothing paid" contracts are not good for your metrics in general.

Best thing would be for the client to release a token payment (anything over $ 1) so it does not become a "nothing paid" contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS