Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Change account information

Active Member
Eva D Member Since: Jan 11, 2019
1 of 15

I opened my account when I was traveling in the US, following a suggestion of a friend of mine. He helped me to open the account and I think he gave his address to simply the process. To be honest I dont even remember what exactly he wrote because he helped me and I trusted his advice. At the end they asked for the ID and they only give me the chance to upload an american ID, which I dont have because I am italian. I know there are many jobs that dont require american working permit, so I dont understand why I cannot upload a foreign ID. 

Can someone tell me what I can do?

Thanks,

Eva

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 15

Eva D wrote:

I opened my account when I was traveling in the US, following a suggestion of a friend of mine. He helped me to open the account and I think he gave his address to simply the process. To be honest I dont even remember what exactly he wrote because he helped me and I trusted his advice. At the end they asked for the ID and they only give me the chance to upload an american ID, which I dont have because I am italian. I know there are many jobs that dont require american working permit, so I dont understand why I cannot upload a foreign ID. 

Can someone tell me what I can do?

Thanks,

Eva


_____________________________________

Eva,

As you are clearly no longer in the U. S. you need to change your address to the country you are living in. Perhaps you  are back in Italy? You need to prove where you are and who you are. I have flagged your post and I hope a moderator can help you further. 

 

Moderator
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
3 of 15

Hi Eva,

 

Thank you for reaching out to us. We'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly and assist you further with your concern.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Active Member
Eva D Member Since: Jan 11, 2019
4 of 15

ok, thank you very much!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 15

It is really very easy: Either you are physically located in the USA, in which case you have all the necessary paperwork that allows you to work in the USA, and can provide that to Upwork.

   OR

You are not in the USA - in which case obviously you can't have the USA as the country where you are located, because you aren't.

Active Member
Eva D Member Since: Jan 11, 2019
6 of 15
Sorry to let you know that people can travel around. I opened while
visiting New York.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 15

Eva D wrote:
Sorry to let you know that people can travel around. I opened while
visiting New York.

 So you say...

Where do you actually live? Where do you pay your taxes?

That is where you need to set your profile for.

Plus you are not allowed to work in the US (freelance or otherwise) unless you have the necessary paperwork (Green Card or Employment Authorisation and an SSN and W9 etc)

 

 

 

 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 15

Eva,

 

Sooner or later, Upwork will ask you to verify your location as well as asking for some sort of identity. What you need to do now, if you want to remain on Upwork is to change your location from the U.S. to wherever you are now. 

As to jobs. If you are in Europe, which judging from the time on your profile, you probably are, there are some job offers you will not be able to see from certain U.S. or U.K. clients, as these clients  have opted to offer these jobs only to people who are legally living and working in either of these two  countries. 

Active Member
Eva D Member Since: Jan 11, 2019
9 of 15

yeah, you know, they invented boats and airplans quite a while ago and they are used for people to visit other countries to open one's mind, something that apparently not everyone has the privilege to do.

Not only that, apparently there are companies that are looking for freelancer also outside the US, hate to break you the news. So, no worries, I dont want to work with your precious american companies, I leave them all for you.

It just happened that a friend told me about this website while traveling in the US, so that's where the location is set.

My hope is to find european companies (not american ones) to work for. 

And yes, I say so.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 15

Eva D wrote:

yeah, you know, they invented boats and airplans quite a while ago and they are used for people to visit other countries to open one's mind, something that apparently not everyone has the privilege to do.

Not only that, apparently there are companies that are looking for freelancer also outside the US, hate to break you the news. So, no worries, I dont want to work with your precious american companies, I leave them all for you.

It just happened that a friend told me about this website while traveling in the US, so that's where the location is set.

My hope is to find european companies (not american ones) to work for. 

And yes, I say so.


 _________________________

 

It is against Upwork's terms of service to falsify your location - so I suggest you read them. 

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS