Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Connect system, when ?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
1 of 123

Hello,

I have been active on this forum for a couple of weeks, I have seen a lot of negative reviews from freelancers about the connects system, I'm also not OK with this connects system.

I just want to ask oDesk management  when can we expect some changes in the connects system ? How soon can we expect that and what will be those changes ??

I can't let my income go down like this.

I'm looking forward for reply from oDesk moderators or from someone in the oDesk management team.

Thanks for reading

Arfath

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 123

I actually quite happy with the connects system and DO NOT want it changed.

The amount of spam applications has decreased in my occupation by about 90% and that's nice to see. Frankly I was sick and tired of people who were not qualified applying to every job they saw. Clients did not appreciate this type of abusive behavior either and were likely to go somewhere else.

Until I see 99% of the spam disappear I'd like things to continue just the way it is.

Although I have to be much more selective in whom I choose to work with I think the job success scores is what limits me more than connects do.

Your income may be down this month due to a lack of job postings and that has nothing to do with connects. It may just be a slow month.

Since Elance has worked successfully with the same system for some time I would not expect any changes.

Today I watched a video about Elance and Odesk and the opinion was that low quality jobs were found on Odesk and Elance was for the more elite freelancers. I'm not sure this is true but it's an interesting observation none the less.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
3 of 123

Jean, I agree with your observations, The Connects system seems to be working OK. I am seeing far less applicants for job postings I have reviewed, which should make competing for work less of a hassle -- less time consuming overall. Maybe some of the good clients that did leave will eventually come back.

Ace Contributor
Zubair J Member Since: Apr 6, 2015
4 of 123

Hi Ronald,

It is not like that. I have seen a job for Graphic Design and it have 30 applications, now client have to hire only 1 person the other 29 freelancers will just waste their 2 connects. I have 26 connects remaining and still not successful in getting any new work. 

Connect system is not working for me. I am now waiting for the oDesk team to give us any updates or any change of mind if they have for this system because I really think they are in loss this month because of this connect thing. 

Ace Contributor
5 of 123

Its good that you like this connect system but majority of the freelancers who have posted here don't like it and that can be gauaged by reading the posts here.

Elance and oDesk are diffeent sites, I can point out atleast 10 differences here but I don't have time to do that. Connect system may suit elance but here on oDesk we need some tweaks to it.

There is No Freelancer Spam, people bid on jobs to get hired and earn money no body comes here on elance or oDesk to waste thier time.

Reducing number of job applicants doesn't mean you have reduced 'spam', you have only reduced number of competitors for the job. if there is something called spam then please create a strong algorithm to filter out spammers why do you want to restrict freelancers from bidding from a job ???  There are still many unqualified freelancers bidding on jobs despite the introuduction of connects system.

Just my two cents.....

Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
6 of 123

How can you be happy with this system? 
In 17 days you did only 200$. How can you survive with this amount? Teach me please... 
Connects system is very bad.

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
7 of 123

I have to echo Jean and Ronald, I am happy, overall, with the system. Many fewer applications than in the past. Furthermore, I am only expecting fewer applications, now that we have gone past the "ides" of April.

That doesn't mean it doesn't need to be refined, especially by allowing us to ask questions to clients before submitting our applications (and spending connects). But mods have already indicated this is in the chute, so I'll patiently wait (at least for a while, then I'll complain Smiley Wink)...

Unfortunately, the biggest complainers about the system, IMO and based on observations, are those who apply for anything and everything they can, hoping to win contracts based on lowest rate, not highest skill...but observations are not facts, so I'll just stick to the IMO preface...

Ace Contributor
8 of 123

Unfortunately, the biggest complainers about the system, IMO and based on observations, are those who apply for anything and everything they can, hoping to win contracts based on lowest rate, not highest skill...but observations are not facts, so I'll just stick to the IMO preface...

FYI I'm a top rated freelancer with over 250+ projects and 790+ oDesk hours, I don't bid low rate and I don't bid on everything and anything, my job skills are web design and logo design I stick to my area of expertise while applying to jobs.

Thank you

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 123

You sir may be the exception. 

Many of us have complained and complained about the people who apply for anything and everything thinking their low, low, low bid will get them the job.

Many of us are very happy to see this trend ending and hopefully build a marketplace of true professionals who don't do this kind of thing, which ultimately destroys the system and means fewer job postings for everyone. 

I would like to see these people gone and connects seem to be one way to accomplish that. In the long run it should mean a better quality of client with good jobs and good pay.

Martin C Member Since: Apr 19, 2015
10 of 123

I have worked on the Elance system for some time, and unfortunately the connects only partly reduces the lowball bids. I would love for there to someday be a site or a place populated by true professionals who bid based on the value of what they were offering. I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone offer to edit a 100K word book for $20.00 or $50.00. In the end, you get what you pay for. So while the connects system will reduce some of the spam and noise, it will not entirely eliminate it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS