🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Circumvention
Page options
katequeen
Community Member

Circumvention

So, I got myself in a terrible situation and have been waiting to hear from the help center for two days absolutely freaking out about my life. I completed a project successfully on upwork with a client and then agreed to take another project with the same client several months later (not 24 months). I sort of thought it was okay, but I also sort of knew this was wrong. After working briefly for this client outside of Upwork he began to threaten me, abuse me, blackmail me, etc... to the point where I turned myself in to Upwork 2 days ago, admitted my faults, sent in proof, alerted them of this client, and apologized/begged for forgiveness. I am top rated, I always keep things above the board as Upwork is my primary source of income and I consistently tell the MANY clients who ask that I can not accept outsie payments. I've spent the last two days researching circumvention and now realize that I've committed the worst sin possible on this forum I have loved and worked very successfully on for about 7 years now...? I absolutely understand what I did was wrong and if I get banned for life, I have no choice but to accept that and move on, but I have learned my lesson 1000x over and it would never happen again. If someone who isn't a chatbot could respond to me to advise me the best course of action I could take now or what to expect, I would really really appreciate it. I've been completely sick over it for 50 straight hours now. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kate,

It looks like you have an open ticket with our team about this case. Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place. We will also follow up with the team about your case. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
lysis10
Community Member

This thread needs to get reposted to every reddit thread where the dummies say "oh, it's fine nothing will happen."

petra_r
Community Member

So, you thought it was smart to cheat Upwork out of their fee, and when it all went wrong you thought running to the people you defrauded for help because your accomplice is now mean to you was going to a bright idea?

Yes, this sounds harsh, because it is.

We all pay higher fees because of people like you.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kate,

It looks like you have an open ticket with our team about this case. Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place. We will also follow up with the team about your case. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

I appreciate the stunning honesty you have shown in describing your situation. Your willingness to accept responsibility for your own mistakes is also admirable.

tlsanders
Community Member

Kate, you might want to review your profile for TOS violations.

kat303
Community Member

Sorry to be harsh, but only when people get caught do they ask for second chances, apologise and confess. 

Your only action now is to wait and see what hapens. It is what it is.  And in addition to that, as stated, you have a violation concerning your profile. 

katequeen
Community Member

UPDATE: I'm not going to argue with people who are telling me I did something wrong because I felt like I already made that clear. Thank you for those who gave advice (even if it was laced with judgment), took action, and pointed out I'm not just a moron, but a complete moron with my profile link. Now, I'm going to try to do a little good to leave my mark on the Upwork world in case I get the boot.... 

If this post came up in a search about "circumvention" because you are thinking about accepting money or work outside of Upwork, DO NOT DO IT. This client asked me 3x before I gave in out of fear I would lose the job, convincing me it was fine because we already completed a project, then preceeded to blackmail me with things like "if you don't do this for me right now I'm telling Upwork and then how are you going to feed your kids?" knowing I'm a single mom. Upwork is here for YOUR protection. Their fees are worth it. Their money delays are... ummm, tolerable. Stay professional. Stay honest. Stay on upwork. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

It's hard to imagine you'd have uttered a peep if your client hadn't turned on you. Equally hard to imagine you thought you'd find sympathy here. In any case, you've made it kind of difficult for UW to quietly give you a second chance. Do keep us posted, though. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'll be most interested to learn whether or not they let you off the hook.

Did I write somewhere that I confessed because I was a morally superior human then demand sympathy? If I did, my apologies. 

I've already accepted my fate either way, I was just hoping for answers which I received from "I'll look into it and reply back to the same ticket" to "you just have to wait." I've seen people cuss out Upwork for suspensions for the same reason and get reinstated. That's not my approach. Mine is acknowledging I've screwed up and hoping for the best and vowing to learn from it. That's all I can do right now. 

But thank you SO much for your interest in my (self-inflicted) pain. 

kat303
Community Member

On your very first post the questions you asked was:

If someone who isn't a chatbot could respond to me to advise me the best course of action I could take now or what to expect, I would really really appreciate it.

We are freelancers just like you are. We do not have the authority to decide anything about your problem, and account. We can not suspend your account, reinstate your account or just give you a warning. We have absolutely no say on what will happen to you . We also can not advise you on the best course of action that you should take or what to expect, although what to expect doesn't look good, but who knows? The only thing we can tell you is to wait for Upworks decision.

Since we can't decide the outcome of this, the only other thing we can do is to comment on your decision. You see..... what you did just gave this client the knowledge that if he pushes hard enough, not only for new freelancers but top rated freelancers who have experience, that he will get his work offsite, It also reinforces the notion that he can intimidate freelancers to do his bidding. That makes it hard for anyone and everyone on this site. In a way, when clients are able to do that it degrades this site a small bit, In the long run, it affects Upwork (revenue from clients) 

katequeen
Community Member

Thank you. That actually is helpful and another thing I was not aware of. I'm done. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths