Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Won't End Contract

Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
11 of 56

That "end contract" system is a real pain

Why don't you inform clients and freelancers about ending contract BEFORE THEY DO!!!!

i lost nearly 10% of my JSS before noticing it was damaging my profile for good

...so random

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 56

@Pascal S wrote:

i lost nearly 10% of my JSS before noticing it was damaging my profile for good

It is not "for good!"

The "visible" no feedback contracts will fall out of at least the 12 month window in november. As they are outside the 6 month window it also means if they DO still count against your JSS your 6 month window is worse than the window that includes them....

Community Guru
13 of 56

Whatever the time frame, ending a contract without posting a feedback should not count on our JSS

its not representing the client opinion about a freelancer, if a client is unhappy about a freelancer he will take the time to express his opinion no need to create a feedback for him...

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 56

Upwork takes the opposite stance to "no news is good news" - if the client is not actively singing your praises, Upwork interprets this to mean they're not happy. How accurate that interpretation is, is not really the issue. You know how it works. You can see the client's job history to see if they have a habit of not leaving feedback. You can choose to not work with them if you're concerned.

Community Guru
15 of 56

We have soo much to stress for as freelancers , no need to add those glitchy assets 

Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
16 of 56

this system is reaylly painful . i have a lot of cistomers who never replied when i asked them kindly to close the contract. And they never do! I read that it is bad for our jss so in dont close them but why keeping the contract opened so long time ??? 

Community Guru
17 of 56

@Olivier P wrote:

i have a lot of cistomers who never replied when i asked them kindly to close the contract. And they never do! I read that it is bad for our jss so in dont close them but why keeping the contract opened so long time ??? 

Stale contracts (inactive for a long time) will hurt your JSS as well. You are better off closing them a few at a time.

Managing contracts and clients from pre-hire to post-delivery is part of running your own freelancing business.

Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
18 of 56

@Petra R wrote:

@Olivier P wrote:

i have a lot of cistomers who never replied when i asked them kindly to close the contract. And they never do! I read that it is bad for our jss so in dont close them but why keeping the contract opened so long time ??? 

Stale contracts (inactive for a long time) will hurt your JSS as well. You are better off closing them a few at a time.

Managing contracts and clients from pre-hire to post-delivery is part of running your own freelancing business.

OK ! Managing them  ?? Are you kidding me ? I have a lot of client who come , give a job, never reply when you send the job done, never approved the milestone or the job done ( you have to wait 2 weeks to be approved by upwork) , never say thanks, and when i write to them many times to close the contract , i hear no sound ! Of course they are not all the same . But for many one quick job contract it is like that. I cannot understant why if a contarct is open since 9 months with no activity , it woulb lowering you jss, ou if you close it. It is a silly rule

For managing, i manage well the customers who talk, write, answer.... the other ones , how can i do ??? 

Community Guru
19 of 56

@Olivier P wrote:

OK ! Managing them  ?? Are you kidding me ? I have a lot of client who come , give a job, never reply when you send the job done, never approved the milestone or the job done ( you have to wait 2 weeks to be approved by upwork) , never say thanks.

No, I am not kidding you. My clients don't do that.

Managing contracts and clients from pre-start (and that includes choosing who to work with in the first place) to post ending is part of running your business. We work in the same general area. If I can do it, you can.

It's not rocket science.

OF COURSE there will be an occasional contract without feedback, but "a few" won't hurt you, only if there is a pattern or a significant percentage..

Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
20 of 56

@Olivier P wrote:

For managing, i manage well the customers who talk, write, answer.... the other ones , how can i do ??? It is a silly rule

I agree 100%. I have many customers who really only have a job every 3 or 6 months. Why should their contracts not stay open? Very smooth and easy. I once had a customer who was recovering from an accident. He could not work that much. Sometimes it took him a few weeks to answer. It would be a MUCH better customer service to just leave the contracts running so they can give me some work whenever they have it than me bothering them, if they could please close the contract for the sole reason that my JSS will get hurt by some senseless Upwork rule.
How is bothering clients a better customer service than just be there for them? Spare them the hussle of closing and reopening contracts is the better customer service in this case so I must conclude that the "customer service score" has a misleading name. Customers see mine and think that I don't have their interest in mind, when in fact the low score originated from just that: That I am a service minded person with their interest in mind. 
I have already explained in another thread how my having their interest in mind hurt my JSS. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS