cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asks for your contact details in an interview and then disappears?

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what you thought of a situation where you got an interview for a project and the client asked for your e-mail, saying that it was needed for their databases (the client was a translation agency from what I understood), and then they just completely disappear? I have not received a message from them since in any shape or form,  nor have they actually hired anyone for the job. My interview just keep dangling open, and as far as I could understand, the original job was supposed to be completed within a day of being hired, which only adds to my confusion.

Does anyone think this is suspicious, or am I just being paranoid? Do you think the job was canceled and the client just did not bother to notify the people being interviewed? Or do you think whoever else they interviewed completed the job outside of UpWork? Or maybe they were just collecting e-mails in a phishing attempt? I am starting to think something is fishy, as when I went to recheck the job posting, this is what it says about the client:

About the Client

Payment Method Not Verified 

42 Jobs Posted 
0% Hire Rate, 37 Open Jobs

Is there actually a way for me to withdraw from the interview-stage? Is this worth reporting to UpWork, or should I just count myself unlucky this time? Or am I just being hasty?

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
2 of 7

@Hanna N wrote:

Do you think the job was canceled and the client just did not bother to notify the people being interviewed? Or do you think whoever else they interviewed completed the job outside of UpWork? Or maybe they were just collecting e-mails in a phishing attempt?

Probably all of the above. I think agencies use this method a lot to either recruit outside of Upwork or the collect contact info for new potential freelancers whom they later contact when a certain project comes up.

I have worked for a couple of clients who needed me to log into their plattform because that is where the work takes place, but still paid me through Odesk on the agreed fixed rate. Usually these type of clients provide detailed information on this type of process right away though. They usually also have a track record here, hired freelancers and spent a considerable amount of money.

I think you can either ignore them, or explore a bit to where it leads so you get a feel for good/bad clients.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
3 of 7

This is not a real job; what first time client would need 42 different jobs done? Clearly they have taken your email adress for some reason, though whether you want to go through the trouble of creating a new one is up to you.

For that matter, reporting people seems to have little effect, though I would delete your application and block this client to be on the safe side.

Next time only apply for jobs with a verified payment method until you've gained experience in what to look for.Cat Happy

Ace Contributor
Martin L Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
4 of 7

@Hanna N wrote:

About the Client

Payment Method Not Verified 

42 Jobs Posted 
0% Hire Rate, 37 Open Jobs 

That's a major red flag. I wouldn't waste my time reading the whole job description, let alone apply.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 7
Yes, 42 Jobs posted, 37 open and 0% hired - that is all you need to see. Unfortunately the client already caused you to waste you connects and your time. Just move on.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
6 of 7

Hi Martin! Unfortunately when I applied to the job there were only 3 jobs open - the client has opened all of these other jobs after I had already applied to the job. I checked rechecked the stats when I started writing on the forums.

@Abdul: Thankfully I'm not gullible enough for that, I did refuse and report one job already where the client tried to make me download a fishy program to do the work. Woman Wink (this was a job that was supposed to be making an excel list of things lost in a fire - what I was actually asked to do after hiring was to get a third-party software and work certain hours through the week, and instead of being paid hourly, they said they would pay at the end of the month if I made the set quota - I don't think so...). I just wanted some opinions to confirm my suspiciouns since I seem to have really bad luck with these new clients.

Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
7 of 7

Hello Hanna, 

You can share your email to your client if asked, But before that confirm the client has a verified payment method. He also has feedbacks on his profile. 

Never sign in to the given urls from client. They are hackers. 

Best Regards

Abdulrazaq

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS