cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client email

Highlighted
Harry David P Member Since: Oct 17, 2018
1 of 5

I have been asked to email a third party - an HR person - directly. I don't want to go outside of Upwork. What do I do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

re: "I have been asked to email a third party - an HR person - directly. I don't want to go outside of Upwork. What do I do?"

Harry:

Upwork's rules do NOT prohibit you from emailing clients directly.

MOST of the time, if you are asked to directly email "an HR person," you are dealing with a scammer who is trying to:

- steal your money

- trick you into working for free

or

- steal your personal identity information

You have NOT given us enough information to determine if you are dealing with a scammer or not.

If you want to be safe, you can use a "throwaway email address" that you set up only for contacting this particular client (or "client"). That way, there is nothing they could do with your "real" email address.

If you have any questions, post them here. We'll help you stay safe.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

So, basically your best options are to:

a) stop communicating with this "client" immediately, because they're probably a scammer

b) contact their "HR person" using a throwaway email address that you create specifically for this project

c) continue communicating with them, but only through the Upwork messenger tool.

Tell them:

"Thank you for your interest in working with me. As a matter of policy, I only communicate via Upwork messenger prior to getting hired. Please use the Hire button to set up an official contract, and then I will contact the HR person via email. Or you and her may continue to communicate with me using the Messnger tool until the contract is in place."

Highlighted
Harry David P Member Since: Oct 17, 2018
4 of 5

Here's the email:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
5 of 5

Hi Harry David,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I will share this with our team for future investigation. You can use the flag option found on each job post to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Here's the help article for more information. Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS