Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is Embarrassed of Upwork

Highlighted
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
1 of 16

I just received an unexpected email from a client. He said that he is thrilled with the work I've done for him, but he would be embarrased if people found out that he hired an Upwork freelancer to write his resume. (Not that he'd be embarassed because he hired someone, but specifically because he hired through this site -- his email was very clear on that point.) He wanted to be sure that his name wouldn't be attached to the feedback he left and wouldn't be tied to the job description that appears on my portfolio in any way. He wants to have no trace of himself on Upwork. (I referred him to Upwork support because I don't feel confident enough assuring him that all traces of him can be completely erased.)

It says a lot when the paying clients are even nervous to be affiliated with the site. Of course, this is to be taken with a grain of salt. If the client was really so skeptical of Upwork and the quality of its freelancers, he wouldn't have posted a job in the first place, and he certainly wouldn't have hired. But still -- his concern is there, and for him, it's real. I've had some loopy clients, but he's not one of them. He's a pretty down-to-earth guy, so...

Anyway, I'm just throwing that out there. I'm curious if anyone else has had clients express similar thoughts/concerns. In 60+ completed jobs, this is a first for me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 16

For every opinion there is someone in the world ready to express it.  I would honestly think nothing of it.  He's here, he paid, and he liked the work.  That says something more important than his expressed coming out of the UpWork closet fears. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 16

This is silly.

Upwork is the leader in its field.

For all that we sometimes complain about it, we're here and not somewhere else.

I have a fairly extensive list of online work platforms. I've looked into them quite a bit. Tried out the major ones. I'm not using any of the others. Does that mean Upwork is perfect? No.

But to say one is "embarrassed of Upwork"? If that's the case, he shouldn't be using it. It would be "safer" for him to use a resource that he is not "embarrassed" by.

Because if there is one thing people should have learned by now... there is no such thing as anonymity on the Internet. If you don't want to do get caught doing something, don't do it online.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 16

I think it speaks to the character of the client that they think it was appropriate to convey their thought to an Upwork freelancer

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 16

"I'm actually a very sophisticated person, and I wouldn't normally come into a place like this. But while I'm here, can I order one of those hamburgers you guys are famous for? I need a booth in the back, though, to make sure nobody sees me through the window."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 16

Possibly the person in question is in a field or working at a level where an employment agency or high-priced, full-service resume company might be more the norm, and the idea of simply going into a marketplace and hiring a lone freelancer to do a piece of the job seems second-rate to him in context?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
7 of 16

Defeat his/her own purpose much?!! Get into a public, well known site to get some work done and at the same time, want no one to know about it. Yeah, you meet all kinds on some sites!!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alexandru I Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
8 of 16

In my opinion upwork (and freelancing sites in general) are like bazaars.

While there's also plenty of good products sold, most shops sell cheap products (sometimes maybe knockoffs) at cheap prices. So to some degree, bazaars are like the poor men malls, some people just feel embarrassed if others know they purchased clothing or other stuff from there, while most people from their circles buy that stuff from malls.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
9 of 16

Or perhaps this client doesn't want to be linked to Upwork in case the employer does a backgound check and a little Googling on the person, sees that they are on a Freelancer site and questions their commitment to the job they are trying to apply for.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alexandru I Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
10 of 16

Here's a fun article of an US employee that outsourced his job: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/17/business/us-outsource-job-china/

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS