🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking for passport copy for NDA
Page options
b5375551
Community Member

Client is asking for passport copy for NDA

Hy, Good day! Recently I applied for a 2D animation Job post and got hired. before interviewing, the client asked if I was willing to sign an NDA for that I was required to provide my Email, Contact number, and a copy of my original passport. Initially, I said I agreed with the terms as signing an NDA is not something new for me. Now I'm feeling insecure as I'm suggested by a few fellow Upwork freelancers not to provide a copy of my passport. And the most important this is that I do not have the passport yet. 

Adding to my concerns, the client has no spending history on Upwork and joined the platform very recently, on March 6. They also remained anonymous during our Zoom meeting. As a Top-rated freelancer, I'm worried about negatively impacting my Job Success Score (JSS).

Could you advise on how I should handle this situation?

Best regards,

Asim Raza

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

Reject. Never share your private info. Upwork already verified you and have all required.

I accepted the offer and the client asked for a Passport copy just after I accepted the offer. What if he ends the contract, leaves a bad review, and hurts my JSS?

Yes.

But you can explain that you worried with ID sharing and wont do it for security reasons. You able to provide that but not must. Client cannot force you.

In any case bad feedback is nothing vs negative affect of your ID sharing with criminals.

3644d580
Community Member

Hello Asim,

Given the circumstances, it's best to:

1. Politely explain you don't have a passport yet.
  2. Offer alternative methods for identity verification.
  3. Prioritize safety and caution.
  4. Trust your instincts and proceed accordingly.

Best regards,

Haris Ismail

crart
Community Member

1 and 2 are nonsense. Please don't tell people to explain the obvious. We are verified at Upwork, and there are ToS in place that we must all follow, which clearly state:

"The Upwork Terms of Service contain default non-disclosure terms which many clients consider sufficient for this purpose. These include the following:

- The freelancer agrees to keep all information learned as part of the project confidential, and vice versa.
- You grant a freelancer limited rights to use any materials you share to do the work defined in your contract, but you retain the IP rights. When the project wraps up, or on your request, the freelancer agrees to return or destroy your materials.
- Once paid in full, the freelancer retains no rights to use it — any IP the project has generated becomes your property. The exception is any background technology that’s been specifically identified up front."

(https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063608-Non-Disclosure-Agreements)

If the client is not able to understand these, they are free to ask UW for explanation. UW does not enforce NDAs that are solely between client and freelancer and are additional layer of safety, if it is ever needed. But I believe for intelligent people, able to read with understanding, ToS are enough.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members