🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client is asking for refund. What should I do...
Page options
rahulbangar786
Community Member

Client is asking for refund. What should I do?

I ran a Facebook ad campaign for a fine jewelry client and she is not happy with the campaign results. I told her we are in testing phase and we don't know which product/ad or audience will perform better.

She is saying that she was sending people to the product category page and she got more add-to-carts than me as I was sending people to the product page.

She is asking for around a $200 refund.

I told her that I have an idea that we can target people who have an upcoming anniversary in the next 30 days with an ad like "Anniversary gifts for her under $80" and send them to the product category page instead of the product page. 

After this, we can see which products are getting added to carts and then start sending people directly to the product page.

I told her that I can create this new campaign for FREE as you are not satisfied with the services and can also analyze the new campaign for a week too just to make her happy.

But she is saying that even If I create a new campaign for FREE and if this new campaign does not work or generate sales even then she needs a refund.

She does not seems to be a good client. What should I do? 

Will upwork listen to the freelancer or it will support the client?

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Rahul B wrote:

Will upwork listen to the freelancer or it will support the client?

Neither.

Hourly contract: If you tracked your work correctly, you win the dispute. If no, the client does. Simple as that.

Fixed rate contract: If it comes to a dispute, Upwork will try to get you and the client to find a mutually acceptable solution. Upwork can and will not make a binding decision. If that fails, you can opt for arbitration at a cost of $291 per party.

She gave me a 1-star rating. How can I remove her feedback? I am a top-rated freelancer for the last few months.

kinector
Community Member

Rahul, if I'm reading your message right, I can only see one mistake in the whole chain of events.

You promised something that the client didn't understand or appreciate. Yet, a contract was started.

Next time, make sure the client understands what your work delivers in regard to their business goal. If not sure, don't start the contract. This approach will make you more money than the current arbitration-prone approach that you appear to suffer from...

That's all.

Nail the business basics and you never need to go to the arbitration process. Speaking from experience. I haven't even given a refund in my life. So far. Fingers crossed. 🤣

Upwork is not a magical wishing well.

The client described in the original post is way out of line.

She gave me 1-star feedback. How can I remove her feedback? I am a top rated freelancer.

This article explains the process and contains instructions how to request for feedback removal: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Feedback-Removal

But most importantly, regarding your long-term success, expectation management is the thing.

Oh but it is a wishing well, dear Preston!

As a client, I simply describe my wish as well as I can, talk to a genie (or genius) of some kind and soon after my wish is granted! It's totally magical to me!

(Only, I need to drop a big pile of coins down that well before any magic happens.)

🤪

I had clearly told her that she needs to have a monthly ad budget of $2000 for 2-3 months just testing products and to find out which products can perform.

She asked for a refund just after spending $300 on the ads.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members