Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client not paying Upwork not supporting

sanmeet-walia
Sanmeet W Member Since: Dec 6, 2017
1 of 6

Hi,

I have recently delivered a data science project where in the client had demanded 4 things.

I delivered all the 4 points successfully and with each time i made a video and sent to the client on how the code is working. In these videos i explicitly mentioned that since the data set is huge the code will take few hours to run and it can vary depending on the capacity of clients machine.

Here is the video :

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

After successfull delviery the client started making excuses that she does not have balance in her account and can't pay at the moment. She requested for the project at half the agreed amount, which i denied.

2 days later the client put in the funds in the escrow and took the project.

After one more the client demanded the the code should run in only 30 seconds which was extremely unreasonable as she had never mentioned this before.

Stating the code execution time as the reason she paid me 10% of the agreed amount and requested for refund of the rest. Moreover, she gave me bad rating.

I even offered her alternate solution, to which she stopped replying.

All this correspondence took place in Upwork chat.

I raised the dispute with Upwork disputes team and without giving any justification the team has returned the amount the client, which i found extremely unfair as i had delivered all the items in the job description.

I was terribly dissapointed with Upwork as they let the client exploit the system and did not provide any support to the freelancer. As per their dispute document, they attempt atleast to get the client and freelancer discuss the issue out, which also they did not try.

My learnings:

1) Avoid clients with no history

2) Breakdown every projects into milestones and take payment promptly for each

3) If possible go for hourly contracts

What are your thoughts on this.

Best,

Sanmeet

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
2 of 6

1) Never work on unfunded milestones

2) Neverever deliver work without the full sum in escrow

3) Make sure you track your hourly work properly with the app to be protected.

You can still work with clients without history if you follow the rules.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 6

@Sanmeet W wrote:

I raised the dispute with Upwork disputes team and without giving any justification the team has returned the amount the client, which i found extremely unfair as i had delivered all the items in the job description.

I was terribly dissapointed with Upwork as they let the client exploit the system and did not provide any support to the freelancer. As per their dispute document, they attempt atleast to get the client and freelancer discuss the issue out, which also they did not try.

That does not sound right.

MODS?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Sanmeet,

Sorry to hear you had a disagreement with the client. I see that you have a ticket about this case and the team has already explained the next step. You can refer to it for the details and additional questions. 

In rare cases when it's in all parties best interests to end the dispute quickly and move forward, a refund of Escrow is provided to the client and the freelancer receives an Upwork credit of the amount held in Escrow, less Upwork fees.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 6

Thanks Valeria,

I guess the OP didn't understand that he'll get paid after all.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

re: "1) Avoid clients with no history

2) Breakdown every projects into milestones and take payment promptly for each

3) If possible go for hourly contracts"

I agree 100% with your items 2 and 3.

I disagree with item 1 (avoid clients with no history).

Certainly in my line of work, clients often have no history.

If you are new to Upwork, then avoiding clients with no history may indeed be good advice.

If you really understand fixed-price contracts and know how to manage them (you, the freelancer managing them - not the client), then it is possible to safely and profitably work with new Upwork clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS