cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client refuse to create the final milestone.

andrie81
Ace Contributor
Alif Andriyanto A Member Since: Jun 11, 2016
1 of 6

This is the 1st time I've encountered this kind of sticky situation. How can I handle/reply to this kind of situation? I've aleady work on this project more than it should and I don't think it's feasible to even continue.

My 2nd milestone is still pending for approval at this stage and the number of reasonable revision have run out. It's getting ridiculous. lol

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Advice please? Smiley Very Happy

Grammar nazis - Cakap Melayu la kalau terer sangat. Takat bahasa Inggeris boleh la nak eksyen.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

"I'm afraid I have to ask for additional $xx if that's okay with you? "

No. It will cost x amount for the additional work. Stop. End. Period. Not is it ok. Not asking. Telling.

You can smell from that sentence that you can be railroaded and you'll take it.

View solution in original post

andrie81
Ace Contributor
Alif Andriyanto A Member Since: Jun 11, 2016
3 of 6

Thanks!

Yeah.. guess I need to figure out how to be firm with this kind of client eh? With my JSS plumming, it's hard to even get an interview this past 2 weeks.

Ending the contract could make it drop lower. lol.

Need to get all the open contract closed to raise my JSS as I've noticed that lots of open contract (even if it's not problematic) and less closed successful contract in any particular JSS count cycle, wont change the value.

Grammar nazis - Cakap Melayu la kalau terer sangat. Takat bahasa Inggeris boleh la nak eksyen.
niag
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
4 of 6

Re: Yeah.. guess I need to figure out how to be firm with this kind of client eh?

Not just with "this kind of client," with every client. You have to get into the mindset that you are the boss/a business. When you go anywhere to have a professional service done, are you ever asked if you feel comfortable with the price? No. They tell you what the price is and you decide if you want to pay it or not. 

So it should be with your freelancing. If a client doesn't want to pay what's necessary for extra work, they can move on and figure something else out. Don't leave any room to cheat yourself out of income that you deserve for work you've done. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 6

In addition to what Jennifer said, stop throwing faces at your client. How can you possibly expect him to take you seriously? You've told him that you're only going to ask for fair payment if it's okay with him (and once you've told him it's all up to him, why would he expect you to draw a line?) and then you've winked at him about reworking the whole document, as if that's a big joke.

Client:

I have completed the work agreed for milestone 2 and have not received payment. As I indicated earlier, I am happy to make the changes you've requested for an additional fee of $XX. However, I am not willing to move forward until I have been compensated for the previous work as agreed. If you would like to create and fund another milestone once that has been taken care of, I will make the requested revisions. If you prefer to close the contract after paying for the work I have already done, that is also acceptable. Please advise as to which way you prefer to proceed.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 6

Hi Alif, 

To add to what other community members has shared, In case a client requests changes that you as his freelancer do not agree with, you can initiate a dispute for the funds in Escrow.

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS