🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client refuses to pay
Page options
ankun
Community Member

Client refuses to pay

Hello Guys,

I recently got hired by **Edited for Community Guidelines** to create a pattern for bodysuit. She sent an invitation to the job, and during the dicsussion she send me the pic of the bodysuit and mentioned she needed it in 5 sizes. She never asked how much I'd charge for this job, and send me an offer for 30USD. The average price for the basic block is 50-65 USD, and also anyone who's somehow connected to fashion knows that creating a pattern is one job and grading it in different sizes is a different job. So naturally, I assumed this was the price for the pattern only and decided the job was easy so I can do it for 30. She send me absolutely unrelated measurements, and I went to great extend to create a pattern specifically designed for busty ladies as per her picture. And when I sent her the file for revision, I told her that the grading is 10USD each size. Her reply was that I agreed to perform whole job for the 30USD. I reread our messaged and decided to pursue the job since I'm new to the upwork community and didn't want to receive bad feedback, and the fault is my own, since I haven't clarified everything prior accepting the offer.

But her reply threw me off, she said that I'm dishonest and that she's going to cancel the job and moreover will give me a bad review. The contract is fixed and only 15 is funded. I understand that if I submit the files I will get paid these funded amount. But how can I prevent her from giving me bad feedback? I think she's dishonest, she said she's going to cancel the job when I already sent her the files, and moreover I think she's taking advantage of the newbies on upwork, as this is very low pay.

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

@Angela Q wrote:

She sent an invitation to the job, and during the dicsussion she send me the pic of the bodysuit and mentioned she needed it in 5 sizes. She never asked how much I'd charge for this job, and send me an offer for 30USD.

The client told you the scope (5 sizes) and you accepted the offer.

What you are doing (knowingly or unknowingly) is called "bait and switch" - accepting a contract and then trying to charge extra afterwards.

You need to define scope before agreeing to a contract. Once you agreed, you agreed.

Angela Q wrote:I think she's taking advantage of the newbies on upwork, as this is very low pay.

The point is: You AGREED to that price. Clients can only take advantage of freelancers if freelancers let them.

Sorry, but if you knew about the 5 sizes in advance AND accepted the contract then 5 sizes are in scope, whether you think that is fair or not. It is what you accepted and are contracted to deliver.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You assumed something instead of clarifying it, now you know where you went wrong. 

I suggest you chalk it up to your inexperience, apologize to the client and deliver the work at the agreed (low) pay. Others have paid a much higher price for their inexperience, this is not that bad.

Thank you for taking your time to reply! I understand that it’s my mistake of course. So I apologized, but she wants to hear nothing about it. She said she’s going to cancel the job but not cancelling. Do you think I’all be able to dispute her feedback?
petra_r
Community Member

@Angela Q wrote:
Thank you for taking your time to reply! I understand that it’s my mistake of course. So I apologized, but she wants to hear nothing about it. She said she’s going to cancel the job but not cancelling. Do you think I’all be able to dispute her feedback?

Not really but if the job closes withut payment (cancelled) then whatever feedback she leaves won't show on your profile anyway. It *WILL*, however, factor into your Job Success Score once you get one.

ankun
Community Member

Thank you so much! So it’s better if she doesn’t approve my files and cancels? What if she doesn’t take any action and in 14 days time I’ll get paid the funded amount, then her feedback will be shown and I won’t be able to dispute it, is that right?
ankun
Community Member

I apologized and told her that it was my mistake and I will deliver what I agreed to. But as I said she was furious and told me I’m being dishonest, and that she will cancel the job, and will also give me a bad review. After I delivered her the files. That’s not normal.
petra_r
Community Member

@Angela Q wrote:
I apologized and told her that it was my mistake and I will deliver what I agreed to. But as I said she was furious and told me I’m being dishonest, and that she will cancel the job, and will also give me a bad review. After I delivered her the files. That’s not normal.

As explained in your other thread, the feedback won't show on your profile if nothing was paid, but it will affect your JSS.

You are supposed to be running a business (that is what freelancing is) and a vital part of that is to make sure you and your client understand exactly what is agreed and at what cost before (!!!) accepting a contract, and then managing your client-relationship carefully. That does not mean rolling over and letting a client walk all over you, but pro-actively managing the contract so client-expectations and your output align.

ankun
Community Member

Thank you so much for taking time to reply! I appreciate it)
tlbp
Community Member

You have engaged in a series of assumptions and then acted on those assumptions as if there were no consequences. But there are.  The client is understandably shocked that you would attempt to renegotiate the price for the project and has every right to cancel it.

Should you be working for clients who don't value your time? No, of course not. But the time to make that decision is before to accept an offer. Unless you make your fees clear in your proposal or subsequent communications, there is no reason for the client to believe you are not agreeing to work for the amount offered. And, when you see an amount listed in an offer--that's the amount of the offer. 

Go to the New to Upwork section of the Community Discussions and read about payments and escrow. Make sure you have a clear understanding of how both hourly and fixed priced contracts work. 

For this contract, if it is canceled entirely it won't appear in your visible reviews section and you can use the work as a sample to show other potential clients your skills. If you receive any payment, the review will be visible. Whether you receive payment or not, the damage is done to your JSS so you'll just have to live with that. 

I doubt you would get far in a dispute as you failed to complete the deliverables. But, of course, there's no real danger in trying given that the worst that can happen already has. (Except that perhaps disputing puts you on Upwork's radar as a non-performing freelancer.)

Really though, study all the posts on the forum. Freelancing is very different from any other type of work. You must be able to manage contract negotiations and customer service well or you'll not survive. 

ankun
Community Member

Thank you! That’s a very thorough explanation of the other side’s point of view. This is very helpful!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths