🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client splitting agreed contract into milesto...
Page options
samkdesigns
Community Member

Client splitting agreed contract into milestones and not paying full agreed contract amount

Hi team,

I accepted a contract with a client to complete a set of documents (approx. 10) for $2000. I spoke to the client directly, did a test run of the documents to assess the scope of work before committing. Seemed fairly straight-forward. The client said these documents need to be completed well before Dec 19, which was perfect as I was travelling for the holidays on Dec 17. I had many other clients and deadlines before Dec 17, so committed a few full days to complete these 10 documents. After completion, the client said they had another type of document to be completed. We both agreed it was outside the original scope of work, but I was happy to include it as a sign of good faith. The client changed the contract to milestone 1 (10 docs) for $800 - which was paid, and milestone 2 (extra doc) for also $800. Today I was notified the second milestone was paid and contract was ended, leaving $400 unpaid. What are my options? The client admitted to me that he thought the work was '2 weeks worth' and I had completed all of the documents too early. This enraged me as I was hired to complete those documents and not on the basis of how much work I could complete in 2 weeks.

I understand the likely outcome will be payment of just the $1600. I am tired of being taken advantage of by clients who think they can set their own rules. Any advice please.

Thanks,

Sam

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Ask the client to pay a bonus of $ 400, but if the client refuses, there is nothing you can do (other than leave appropriate yet professional feedback.)

In future, don't hand over work unless the milestones are properly funded. I do it occasionally and it has always worked out "so far" - but it will no doubt go wrong eventually.

prestonhunter
Community Member

When I do fixed-price work, I tell the clients what the milestones will be, and how much each will cost. I don't work unless they set things up and fund escrow properly.

I am sorry you worked with a dishonest client. Now you know that Upwork won't enforce bonus promises.

wolfiefeeling
Community Member

for fix-price projects I really like working with milestones,

when respectful clients will ask freelancer's opinion how to split milestones? or even client designed the milestones already still will ask freelancer's opinions. In those cases I will always cheerfully accept the contracts, and so far they all go well and succesfully.

but when the client sent over the milestone actively without detailed discussion, and already funded with a partial amount, I was in a situation of forcely taking client's milestone designs and probably with blurry description of the boundlines of milestones, I will take great attention to these items written in the milestone after some bad experience. Before accepting the contract, everything of the upcoming work and payment should be crystal clear and not leaving any chance for anyone to say later "oh I misunderstood".

If we follow the official upwork workflow and rules closely, treat items listed in contract very carefully, it will protect freelancer quite well.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members