Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client wants me to invoice her

Highlighted
Monika H Member Since: Aug 10, 2017
1 of 4

Hi,

I have a new client who is lovely, she has paid me for some work very quickly. ,Fab! But for some reason, the way she set up the milestones meant that when I submitted the last piece of work, it didn't automatically release the payment as I had to email it to her.

She now can't work out how to pay me the remaining amount she owes me and has asked me to invoice her.  I don't think I can invoice on upwork as a freelancer?

The only thing I can think of is that she creates a new milestone and I re- resubmit the work via that...???  Advice welcome! 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

Was the last milestone actually funded? If yes, just click on the "Submit work and request payment" button.

If it was not funded (submitting work without a funded milestone is very risky!) then the client can simply go to the contract and pay you via a bonus.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
3 of 4

@Monika H wrote:

Hi,

I have a new client who is lovely, she has paid me for some work very quickly. ,Fab! But for some reason, the way she set up the milestones meant that when I submitted the last piece of work, it didn't automatically release the payment as I had to email it to her.

She now can't work out how to pay me the remaining amount she owes me and has asked me to invoice her.  I don't think I can invoice on upwork as a freelancer?

The only thing I can think of is that she creates a new milestone and I re- resubmit the work via that...???  Advice welcome! 

You don't have to invoice clients. Go to the contract page click on the "Submit work" button, but be sure to add a note in the box provided that the submision relates to the work you have already delivered via email. Clicking this button gives the client the option to release payment, or to request changes. 

However, when you click this button you start a timer that gives the client 14 days to review the work, so if you click it again after a few days, you reset the clock back to 14 days, so just click it once, and wait for your client to release the milestone payment. If the client does not release the payment, or does not request changes to the work, Upwork will release the payment to you in 14 days after submitting the work. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

I have often worked with new clients who did not understand how to use Upwork properly.

I have found it is worth my time to explain things to them.

They catch on, and become better clients for it. It is better in the long run to do things the right way rather than use workarounds.

For example, getting them to set up proper milestones or paying via the bonus tool, and pointing them to where in Upwork they can download reports and records that they can use is better than me generating invoices or receipts manually for a client.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS