cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client won't communicate on Upwork

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
1 of 12

About a month ago, a client approached me for my email to discuss work. I asked him why we couldn't chat on Upwork. He disappeared. He's back again and wants my email.

My regular clients have my email. I have no problem with that. But this guy simply won't communicate on Upwork. Agree that I should continue to ignore him?

Thanks.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

@Virginia F wrote:

About a month ago, a client approached me for my email to discuss work. I asked him why we couldn't chat on Upwork. He disappeared. He's back again and wants my email.

My regular clients have my email. I have no problem with that. But this guy simply won't communicate on Upwork. Agree that I should continue to ignore him?

Personally I communicate with clients where-ever they prefer.  As long as they *HIRE* and *PAY* me on Upwork it does not matter.

Upwork messages are dodgy so I actually prefer to have other communication channels.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 12

Lots of clients are like that. It's not a big deal.

Community Guru
4 of 12

Thanks, all.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 12

But... yeah... a lot of us have personal policies against giving NON-clients our email addresses... Many of us wait until we have been hired.

Community Guru
6 of 12

Thanks, Preston.

Kathryn B Member Since: Sep 12, 2018
7 of 12

I just had a particularly shady potential client message me to add him on Skype, where he pitched a completely different project (that I'm not interested in and quite overqualified for). Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people are sketchy like that.

Community Guru
8 of 12

Yes, there are a lot of people I wouldn't trust. After posting this, I realized I had already declined him a month ago.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
9 of 12

I think it is no problem to commnicate using email. I do recommend to have a freelance email address and not to mix it with your private communication.

Community Guru
10 of 12

Great idea. Thanks.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS