🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients that ask for free work
Page options
biancafb
Community Member

Clients that ask for free work

Spoiler
Free work?!! 

Hi everybody. Just wanted to share my latest response to a client. 
I have been hired by him, and at first, he asked for a very small, but yet free test. I mentioned that I would do it, but that was something he shouldn't be asking for. (When the test is actually small, I tend to do it! I know I shouldn't, but unfortunately, I can't afford to loose a potential job). By the end of the contract he asked me that:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I don't know if my answer was actually the proper one, I am relatively "new" to work (I just started full time a month ago). But isn't time for the platform to do something about it? This client had the best of intentions but little knowledge about it (we all know how Upwork is quite confusing in the beginning). 

For this specific project I just worked on, I completely understand why the client needed a test before hiring the right freelancer for the job.

2 REPLIES 2
roberty1y
Community Member

Clients wanting samples should pay the normal rate. They need not even tell the freelancer it's a test. After all, freelancers can't ask for a sample of the client's money before they do the job.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Upwork is doing something about it. Your part is flagging the job posting to alert them. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members