🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Concerns about JSS regarding the SCAM client
Page options
87eee7ec
Community Member

Concerns about JSS regarding the SCAM client

Hello,

I recently accepted a contract from a client on Upwork after thorough discussions about my experience and skills. However, before commencing work, the client provided a meeting link which turned out to be a malicious attempt to breach my laptop's security. Thankfully, my security software prevented any malware intrusion, but this incident raises serious concerns.

This isn't the first time I've encountered such scams on Upwork. In the past, a client tried to gain access to my system through a deceptive website login.

Following the recent incident, my laptop underwent thorough cleaning and a fresh Windows installation to ensure maximum security. However, despite these precautions, I am troubled by the impact on my ongoing job on Upwork.

The chat history with the client has disappeared, making it impossible for me to confront the client directly. I am worried about the potential impact on my JSS, especially considering the effort I've put into maintaining a good reputation amidst numerous scams on this platform.

I urge the Upwork team to take immediate action to investigate and prevent such security breaches in the future. I value my work and data integrity, and repeated incidents like these are driving me towards seeking alternative, more secure freelancing platforms.

Sincerely,

Steve. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns. I understand how frustrating it can be to find out that a job you thought was legitimate is a scam attempt. I want to assure you that our Trust & Safety team is aware of the problem and is working on addressing the issues, including the higher volume of scam jobs and the constantly changing methods of scam accounts.

I want to confirm that the job you are referring to was removed from the platform for violating the Terms of Service; this is why you can't find the chat history. I'd also like to clarify that such jobs don't have an impact on your Job Success ScoreIf one of your clients has been previously flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), their feedback will not count against your JSS.

Whenever you encounter anything you believe to be suspicious, I encourage you to  report it using the available flagging options so the team can investigate further. If you are ever in doubt about whether a job you encountered is legitimate, please don't hesitate to post in the Community; I'm sure any Community members or available Moderators can share their suggestions with you. Please take some time to read through this article for more information on how you can stay safe on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
euphemia77
Community Member

Sorry for the bad experience. 

LuiggiR

Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns. I understand how frustrating it can be to find out that a job you thought was legitimate is a scam attempt. I want to assure you that our Trust & Safety team is aware of the problem and is working on addressing the issues, including the higher volume of scam jobs and the constantly changing methods of scam accounts.

I want to confirm that the job you are referring to was removed from the platform for violating the Terms of Service; this is why you can't find the chat history. I'd also like to clarify that such jobs don't have an impact on your Job Success ScoreIf one of your clients has been previously flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), their feedback will not count against your JSS.

Whenever you encounter anything you believe to be suspicious, I encourage you to  report it using the available flagging options so the team can investigate further. If you are ever in doubt about whether a job you encountered is legitimate, please don't hesitate to post in the Community; I'm sure any Community members or available Moderators can share their suggestions with you. Please take some time to read through this article for more information on how you can stay safe on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
87eee7ec
Community Member

Thank you for the response and yes it's been very frustrating that we've applied on a job and it turns out to be a scam. It is a waste of time, additionally my connects are also draining in such kind of jobs. As Upwork is not refunding any connects for the job that has been removed from there platform as well. So I have a request for your team to please take a look in this as it is a serious concern and it is affecting freelancer's time and money both plus these types of clients are a very big threat for our privacy as they constantly try to get into our system. 

Therefore, I'm requesting Upwork to please create a way where we (freelancers) at least get our connects back from those specific jobs as only we are suffering because of those clients. 

Thanks

wrote:

Therefore, I'm requesting Upwork to please create a way where we (freelancers) at least get our connects back from those specific jobs as only we are suffering because of those clients. 

Thanks

There is already something in place

Understanding and Using Connects – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

You can look at your Connects history to check Connects History - Upwork

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members