cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects System Seems Broken

Matt K Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
1 of 37

I understand the rationale behind the new connects system - in the notion of limiting spam applications - however, it seems broken, due to clients not understanding how connects are determined. 

For example, I'm currently looking at a job that specifies it's a one-time press release, but it's also set at hourly ($17 - $39), and the time length as "3 to 6 months", experience set at "Entry Level".  They had one other previous job, paid $49.  

The job is requiring 6 connects to apply.  But from experience, it's clearly more like a 2 connect job, the Client just used some default settings.  It's not at all an ongoing gig, and like many clients do in writing, they used the "hourly rate" to mean the flat-price range (i.e., their top budget level is $39).  So of course, I'm not even going to apply and burn up 6 connects.  I'm seeing more and more jobs like this. 

Some wacky guy a few weeks ago put the budget at "$1,000,000" for a simple one-off press release, which again made that a 6-connect job to apply - but not in reality. 

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
2 of 37

- however, it seems broken, due to clients not understanding how connects are determined. 

I agree and wish Upwork had a better way of educating clients before they publish their job post.  One way is a section on connects and how it can affect the number of applicants.  Perhaps a pop-up with a message such as, "Your job post will require freelancers to use 6 connects to apply.  Do you still wish to continue?" + Yes or No buttons

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
3 of 37

How would the client know what to change to make it cost less connects to apply? Besides, 6 connects is $0.90. Just consider that the minimum amount to bid and if a job costs less than that it is "on sale." 

Ahmet S Member Since: Jun 1, 2019
4 of 37

It's not rocket science. The client can just estimate time to finish the job and select accordingly. 
I see tons of jobs that take less than 1 day and the client selected  15-30h - 3-6 month option. So if they just stop doing this they don't need to know how to make the job cost less to apply. 

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
5 of 37
Ahmet: And how do you suggest we get clients to correctly indicate project length? Many can’t fill out the form accurately as it is.
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 37

Ahmet S wrote:

It's not rocket science. The client can just estimate time to finish the job and select accordingly. 
I see tons of jobs that take less than 1 day and the client selected  15-30h - 3-6 month option. So if they just stop doing this they don't need to know how to make the job cost less to apply. 

It's also not rocket science to figure out that it's "not rocked science" for YOU to estimate how long it will take to complete the job because YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THE JOB. The client doesn't, so he/she is hiring an expert. 

As someone who has zero design and/or development skills/knowledge, I can tell you that when I hire a developer to make a modification to one of my websites or a designer to create a graphic for me, I literally don't know whether that will take 30 minutes or 20 hours. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 37

Matt K wrote:

I understand the rationale behind the new connects system - in the notion of limiting spam applications - however, it seems broken, due to clients not understanding how connects are determined. 

For example, I'm currently looking at a job that specifies it's a one-time press release, but it's also set at hourly ($17 - $39), and the time length as "3 to 6 months", experience set at "Entry Level".  They had one other previous job, paid $49.  

The job is requiring 6 connects to apply.  But from experience, it's clearly more like a 2 connect job, the Client just used some default settings.  It's not at all an ongoing gig, and like many clients do in writing, they used the "hourly rate" to mean the flat-price range (i.e., their top budget level is $39).  So of course, I'm not even going to apply and burn up 6 connects.  I'm seeing more and more jobs like this. 

Some wacky guy a few weeks ago put the budget at "$1,000,000" for a simple one-off press release, which again made that a 6-connect job to apply - but not in reality. 

Popularity is also a factor, so if there are several proposals it will probably require 6 connects.

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
8 of 37

Jennifer M wrote:

Matt K wrote:

Popularity is also a factor, so if there are several proposals it will probably require 6 connects.

Jennifer M wrote:

Matt K wrote:

Jenn, do you mean that Upwork's algorithim (or however the hell they work this out) is based on on how popular they think a job will be or that the required number of connects changes based on the number of people that respond to the posting?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 37

Richard S wrote:

Jenn, do you mean that Upwork's algorithim (or however the hell they work this out) is based on on how popular they think a job will be or that the required number of connects changes based on the number of people that respond to the posting?

In that god awful 100 page thread about connects, Valeria says that popularity is a factor. Only way I can think of to identify popularity is number of bids.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 37

Did the client actually tell you all those crazy things, or are you just guessing? 

I've been writing on Upwork for three years and have done about 150 writing jobs and I have never seen a single client use the hourly rate as a fixed price rate. 

I've also seen a lot of clients post a single item and use a longer time range because the gig will be ongoing if the first project works out.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS