🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract Suspended
Page options
Godsgift I Community Member

Contract Suspended

I started an hourly contract and I have worked for over 12 hours. Now I have been informed that the contract is suspended as Upwork is carrying out an investigation. So what will happen to the 12 hours worked?  Will I be paid?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi there,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

484 REPLIES 484
Amit K Community Member

I just got an email from Upwork that one of my contracts is on hold. Please help me out.

Thank You

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Amit,

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check out this help article.

~ Luiggi
Amit K Community Member

Thanks, Luiggi

Yeasir T Community Member

I'm worked hourly My total earning already added on my profile for previous week. But its still on review. It'll close may be tomorrow sunday. In the transaction history I see its pending. However I didn’t work for my clients in this week. But I see now my client profile is suspended. Though my payment in still on review.

Screenshot_20230929-183759_Upwork Talent.jpg

Could get my payment for my previous work?

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Yeasir,

It's normal that the funds for the hours you completed last week are still under review since, based on the Weekly Billing Cycle, this is the client's review period, which ends today at 23:59 UTC. Your funds should then move to the Pending section of your Reports Home Page and become available the following Wednesday.

Please know that if your client is suspended, there is an issue with their account that they need to resolve. You will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork, and you shouldn't resume working with that client until the hold is lifted. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check out this help article.
~ Luiggi

Sir, I wanted know that is my payment already transected from him before being his account suspended? Please say I'm depressed

Sir?

Luiggi R Moderator

Yeasir, I'm afraid I won't be able to confirm that right now. If there are any issues with billing your client and the payment for the hours you've completed with them, you will be notified by the appropriate team.

~ Luiggi
Ariful I Community Member

Why is my offer not being accepted? 

Hope to get the solution 

Thank you 

William T C Community Member

Ariful,

Follow the instructions on the screenshot for the solution.

Mykola A Community Member

Check is client still alive. Should be banned already.

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Ariful,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties accepting an offer. This means you won't be able to start a contract with this client on Upwork until the issue is resolved and that's why you're unable to accept the offer. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any work on the contract. You may also continue coordinating with the client for updates. For more information, please check out this help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Puja K Community Member

Hi

It's an hourly contract, and a payment of $315 was refunded to the client without our permission. Please resolve this.

Mykola A Community Member

Nothing to resolve, it is common action.

Hi Puja,

I'm sorry to learn about the sudden and unexpected refund that's been processed by your agency. I looked into the job you're referring to and found out that the contract is on hold because we are reviewing a problem with your client's account. You cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. 

This could happen for various reasons, but we are not allowed to disclose any details about your clients' accounts for confidentiality.

However, please be aware that Upwork Hourly Protection may cover hours worked before the contract was paused. We recommend that you stop working on the contract and contact your client to know when the agreement could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Geeta R Community Member

Recently I was hired by a client for a React Website Developer project, client ask me to buy a theme then work on it. I asked him to send the advance payment first then I will buy, I bought three themes for him from my funds after I recieved payments in Upwork account. It was August 17, I spend around $900 for theme purrchase  after all the funds were showing in my account inside upwork.Next Day that contract is paused by Upwork.Now it's been more than one month and that amount is not paid by Upwork. Please check the attached screenshot. When I will recieve that amount.

Hi Geeta,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you already opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-28 hours to respond to your request. Feel free to also update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Geeta R Community Member

Hi Annie,

I recieved the reply and they told me To resolve this matter, I suggest contacting your client to follow up to on the bonus pay issued on the contract and to process the payment successfully. 

How I can contact a blocked client Whom I only knows byUpwork, I lost $700 here from my pocket. this is ridiculous.

Geeta R Community Member

Hi, I raised 2 tickets related to my pending funds. But they are marked as solved without any resolution. 

My tickets are:  

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/42882287

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/42880632

It says to contact the client to follow up on releasing the bonus funds but you guys blocked the client's account, how I can contact him? 

geetabisht19_0-1696352527580.png

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It was showing the payment in pending on Upwork which is why I purchased the themes for the client. Why does Upwork show those funds in the account? How do I know if the payment is actually released or not? In this situation how we can trust Upwork to have our genuine funds in a pending state for the work we are doing because it took 2 weeks to release those funds? 

Sophie A Community Member

«Pending» means the client approved the amount to be taken from his payment method, it does not mean it is available to you. The amount still needs to go through the 5-day security period (where the method still needs to be successfully proccessed by the payment method issuer). In this case, if the payment was denied, it will remain Pending. When the payment is successfully processed, it will become Available.

Hi Geeta,

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry if you still haven't received your payment. I took a closer look at the job you mentioned and found out that the contract is on hold because we are reviewing a problem with your client's account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. This could happen for various reasons, but we are not allowed to disclose any details about your clients' accounts for confidentiality.

However, please be aware that Upwork Hourly Protection may cover hours worked before the contract was paused. We recommend you stop working on the contract and contact your client to know when the agreement could resume. 

You may continue coordinating with the team through the email notification linked to your case, and the ticket will automatically reopen. In the meantime, you can check this help article to learn more about the process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Geeta R Community Member

Due to the client's account being suspended by Upwork, the contract was put on hold. However, the hours worked prior to the suspension were already invoiced.

Regards, 

Geeta

Hi Geeta,

Thanks for reaching out. Upwork Hourly Protection may cover hours worked before the contract was paused if they meet the criteria listed here. We recommend you stop working on the contract and contact your client to know when the agreement could resume. 

~ AJ
Upwork
Rehan H Community Member

So since i got my top rated badge i was getting the hourly contract payments within like every 5 days but this time it's still in review and I haven't gotten any update about it even tho it's been 5 days

Rehan H Community Member

Update: 

I received this email from Upwork.

Your contract is on hold

Hi Rehan,

We have noticed some possible issues with your contract with **Edited for Community Guidelines** / ID # 34927088).

While we take a closer look, we will need to put your contract on hold temporarily.

Please hold off on working on this contract through Upwork until we give you the all clear. We know this hold is frustrating, but it is essential for the safety of your account and the marketplace. No action is required on your part right now and we will be in touch as soon as possible. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

The Upwork Team

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members