cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copyright violation by a client

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
11 of 20
I know, I was joking about the taking payments outside of the site, because it seems that is the only thing they take swift action about these days. It does seem that clients can simply get away with not paying in full or not paying at all. Most contractors don't even know they should file a ticket so people who do this can get away with doing this many, many times. Sad Smiley Sad

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
12 of 20
I contacted chat support since I have not received an update from my existing ticket. The other agent looked into my case and told me the ticket has been escalated to the risk management team and told me she would contact the agent who is in charge of my ticket to send me an update. Lets hope the client at least gets a warning so he won't do this thing again.

Community Guru
13 of 20
Anna C from oDesk help center wrote: Dear Dianne, I hope this finds you well. I write to inform you that we have requested Dxxxxx Hxxxxx to remove the said articles from their website. If they are not removed, we will impose appropriate action. If you need further help, please let me know. Anna C. My response: Hi Anna C, Can xxxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx? and Are xxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx? are still posted. Just out of curiosity since I also have a client account, How long will oDesk team wait for Dxxxxx Hxxxxx to take action? and What will be done if they do not remove my articles from their website? Also, may I publish them on my blog now or should I wait until they remove it? Thank you Screenshot (1928).png Screenshot (1928).png (quick view)

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
14 of 20
[quote=Dianne M.]Also, may I publish them on my blog now or should I wait until they remove it?[/quote] Why would you need/request permission from oDesk to publish your articles on your blog? As long as the client doesn't pay in full, they're your intellectual property. It doesn't matter that he published them. I'd send him a revised offer for 2x of the original ask to compensate for the headache with a 48 hour deadline.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
15 of 20
You can also ask his hosting company to take the site down.
Community Guru
16 of 20
If I ask for compensation, his low rating will reflect on my profile. I was told by oDesk in another ticket that its better to wait til he takes them down before publishing the articles on my site, PLUS I wanted to know how well-trained their staff are. here is the response I got from oDesk: Dear Dianne, The request to take down the articles were sent out a few hours ago. Please give it time. We will wait for 24-48 hours for the client to respond to us on this. If they will not respond, we will put sanction on their account. In regards to publishing the said articles, they are yours and you can use the write ups as you wish. However, to avoid further complication on the situation, I'd wait for them to take it down before publishing again. Let me know if you need further help. Thank you. Anna C. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Lets hope oDesk does as they say, in the meanwhile, I drafted an email which I'll send to the bad client's hosting company if they don't cease from using my work within 24 hours; just in case the client's account does not get sanctioned by oDesk or if the client decides they can really just screw oDesk too and keep on holding on to my articles (which are giving their site much much much exposure because those articles are some of the best ones I've ever written).

Community Guru
17 of 20
oDesk can't tell you what to do with your article. It is reasonable to give someone time to respond to an email, though. Normally, if I send a takedown email, I give a deadline in the email. I usually give them about a week. It would be nice if oDesk would let you see a copy of the notice they sent.
Community Guru
18 of 20
Agree. But I guess no harm will come from waiting a few more hours though. I'm more interested on how this will play out (what oDesk and the hosting company will do if the client refuses to adhere to what is right) than in getting compensated or being able to use my article for my own site.

Community Guru
19 of 20
I don't know what oDesk will do, but my experience is that hosting companies are pretty good about taking things down. They don't want any legal trouble.
Community Guru
20 of 20
The erring client has been dealt with. Too bad for him/his company that Google is my friend Smiley Happy

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS