🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Customer wants FREE work done before I sign t...
Page options
262d1893
Community Member

Customer wants FREE work done before I sign the contract?

Good Morning

I have an offer from a potential client to do some copywriting work for them.  However, before they offer me the contract, they want me to do a "trial project" for them.  This project is exactly what the actual contract entails.  I have been ripped off (in the past) in this same situation, ie doing work for free and never being paid.  How do I back out of this project without this client giving me a negative review. (which I now see they have give all of thier previous Freelancers 1 or 2 stars, but have subsequently been given 5 stars from these Freelancers. 

Thank You.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Angela G wrote:

Good Morning

I have an offer from a potential client to do some copywriting work for them.  However, before they offer me the contract, they want me to do a "trial project" for them.  This project is exactly what the actual contract entails.  I have been ripped off (in the past) in this same situation, ie doing work for free and never being paid.  How do I back out of this project without this client giving me a negative review. (which I now see they have give all of thier previous Freelancers 1 or 2 stars, but have subsequently been given 5 stars from these Freelancers. 

Thank You.

You said you have an "offer", for it to affect your JSS, you will have needed to accept that offer. So simply decline the offer and explain that you do not do free trials and that asking for free work/trials is against Upwork's TOS. You will be happy to complete the work on the clock/ or for a fixed price (whichever kind of contract you were interviewing for). 

If you have accepted the contract, I would explain that asking for free work is not allowed by Upwork TOS, and then simply repeat that you will start the work once payment method is verified (for hourly - and make sure you use the time tracker with meaningful memos); if fixed price, simply repeat that you will be happy to begin work once the milestone is fully funded. Then wait and do nothing. 

If they argue, you can report them (I say if they argue after you've explained because many clients are unaware this is not allowed, so give them a chance to behave properly). 

This is my advice to get out of this smoothly. But it sounds like it may impact your JSS if they are trying to scam freelancers to work for free. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
7f9b79df
Community Member

If the contract has not been accepted, then simply decline the contract. They client cannot give you a review unless a contract has been signed.

You should also report the client to Upwork, letting the support team know the client is requesting free work.

petra_r
Community Member

Kindler C wrote:

You should also report the client to Upwork, letting the support team know the client is requesting free work.

That's what the "flag as inappropriate" function is there for.

262d1893
Community Member

Thank you Petra, I will flag them.  

Thank you. I will do as you have said.

cheers!

No, don't do that. That is not the purpose of customer service. You need to go into the job posting and flag it for asking for free work. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Angela G wrote:

Good Morning

Thank You.

You said you have an "offer", for it to affect your JSS, you will have needed to accept that offer. So simply decline the offer and explain that you do not do free trials and that asking for free work/trials is against Upwork's TOS. You will be happy to complete the work on the clock/ or for a fixed price (whichever kind of contract you were interviewing for). 

If you have accepted the contract, I would explain that asking for free work is not allowed by Upwork TOS, and then simply repeat that you will start the work once payment method is verified (for hourly - and make sure you use the time tracker with meaningful memos); if fixed price, simply repeat that you will be happy to begin work once the milestone is fully funded. Then wait and do nothing. 

If they argue, you can report them (I say if they argue after you've explained because many clients are unaware this is not allowed, so give them a chance to behave properly). 

This is my advice to get out of this smoothly. But it sounds like it may impact your JSS if they are trying to scam freelancers to work for free. 

Amanda L wrote:

If no contract is in place, there's nothing that can affect JSS. 

Martina P wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

If no contract is in place, there's nothing that can affect JSS. 

Yes, I am aware, that's why I address it in the very first part of my reply. 

petra_r
Community Member

Angela G wrote:

How do I back out of this project without this client giving me a negative review.

If you haven't been hired yet, (you said they won't give you the contract until you do the sample), the client can't give you any review.

Angela G wrote:

(which I now see they have give all of thier previous Freelancers 1 or 2 stars

The time to carefully check the client's history is before sending a proposal or accepting an invitation, not afterwards 😉

If you haven't accepted a contract, you can just withdraw your proposal and stop communicating with the client. Also flag the job post as inappropriate, choosing the reason "client asking for free work" as the reason.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Always a good idea to check the client's history. 

If you don't accept an offer, there is no possibility for the client to leave feedback, and it has no repercussions on your profile at all. 

262d1893
Community Member

Thank you Martina. That is what I was afraid of, because they had wanted me to do a small sample to show them I understood what they were looking for, and I had agreed. (still not contract signed) Then they messaged me wanting me to complete 5 quotes for each account and there were over 30. They said 
"do this within 24 hours." HUGE red flags.  There is no way I am doing anything like that for Free.

thanks again for your input!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members