Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Delivered hourly based work to client but he is not responding

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Kashif A Member Since: Dec 2, 2015
21 of 25

I have logged 400+ hours here and haven't used time tracker once. Call me paranoid but I am not comfortable with a software taking screen shots of my computer. All my hourly jobs had manaul hour submissions and clients gladly paid - NOT a single dispute as yet. 

Then came this client who simply stopped responding after receiving the work. I guess I have to stop crying over split milk, cut the loss, and move on.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
22 of 25

Manual time is not protected by Upwork's hourly payment protection. So, the client can disavow any hours worked and you will not be paid. 

When you work on an hourly contract using Upwork, it is expected that all the time you claim to have worked for a client was worked for that client. Working for more than one client at a time while charging an hourly rate is considered double-billing.  So, of course, the time tracker isn't going to permit you to claim to be working for both at once.

Was it your intent to bill more than one client for the same block of time or do you tend to leave one client's work open and visible while working on another's?  

There is a good chance that your client is either unhappy with the work you submitted, believes that you overcharged for the time spent and does not want to become more indebted to you, or is a scammer who never intended to pay you and knows more about how manual time works than you. 

Edited: Did you submit the work to the client without recording the hours?  That does add a twist. The client may assume that there was some mechanism in place for you to get paid and closed the contract because he or she didn't need or want any more work. Or, the client could just be planning to take the work and not pay since you handed it over. 

When working with strangers, it is good to have procedures in place that assure payment. 😯

Ace Contributor
23 of 25

>> Did you submit the work to the client without recording the hours?  That does add a twist. The client may assume that there was some mechanism in place for you to get paid and closed the contract because he or she didn't need or want any more work. 

I don't use time tracker and always bill hours manually. As this client had the manual hour submission open, I assumed I will do the same with him too. However, the client closed manual submission now. The contract is still open and he's not responding.

>> Or, the client could just be planning to take the work and not pay since you handed it over. 

This is what I assume.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
24 of 25

Kashif A wrote:

Hi all,

I am working on a task where the deliverables are blog posts. This is an hourly task. Initially the client has allowed manual submission of hours but since I have submitted first blog post, the client has turned off manual submission and stopped responding to my communication.

If this client. is posting other jobs, they may be a sort of scammer. Meaning they know how to take advantage with hourly jobs and manual hours. If this client was an ethical, honest client and the hours you put in may have gone way over what she thought it would take, therefore closing manual hours. If that was the case she should have discussed that problem with you and maybe an agreement could have been made. But instead she cut off all hours, and communication. 

I have raised the issue to Upwork support and I was told that I should use the Desktop App to record hourly tasks - which means sharing my screen in form of screen captures. Since the client is not responding, I asked Upwork support to request the client to respond - nothing as yet.

Don't involve Upwork in this, It's not their job. It's youir job as a freelancer to conduct business in whatever way you want. Upwork provides protection in the way of the Tracker for hourly jobs, and escrow for fixed rate jobs. If you choose not to use them for whatever reason, then that's your choice and that's your outcome if anything happens.

I have delievered several blog posts to clients before and they were cool with manual submission of hours since writing a blog post requires research, writing and revisions and as I work with multiple clients at a time, it was not feasible to allow screen capture. 

You may have great success and fantastic clients in the 400+ Manual hours you have logged. If that works for you, great. but if you didn't know, or didn't think it would happen to you now you know that manual hours are not protected, and the client can dispute that and "win" by default. And that now it Did happen to you. Upwork does not offer payment protection. Had you logged hours using the tracker, and followed the procedures you would have gotten paid, - if not by the client then by Upwork itself. 

Can the community let me know the way forward with this? Shall I end the contract and let the client enjoy a free blog post? What can I do to get my hard earned money from this unresponsive client?

That decidion depends on you You can end the contract without getting paid, if that's your choice. or you an possibly teach this client a lesson and get paid. You should send a message to her:

Hi XXX

We have entered into a contract for a blog post. I have spent XX hours researching writing and editing this blog but you have not paid me for my work. Since I have not been paid, the copyright of this blog still belongs to me. If you publish this blog anywhere on the internet I will be forced to contact the site's host provider and have it taken down I hope to hear back from you concerning this by XXXX. so that an arrangement can be made concerning this.

If you don't get paid, then take your blog off the site where it's published with a DMCA notice. 

Ace Contributor
25 of 25

Thanks for the advice, Kathy. I have learned my lesson and moving on with this.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS