Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing clients and JSS

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rikki P Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
1 of 10

Hi! So I've had this client for a while and he seems really nice. The problem is that he keeps disappearing and not sending me any work. The contract is a fixed price contract and luckily I've been paid for the first milestone but he hasn't sent any more work in a few weeks. It's made my JSS drop over 10% (I was at 96% and was quite proud of it, to be honest).

He just seems to be very unresponsive and, while the money sounds nice, I'm starting to wonder if I should just count this one as a loss and move on. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had a situation like this. How have you guys handled these types of situations?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 10

I ask them to close the contract as it is having a neg. effect on my rating. If I don't hear back from them within the week, I close it myself.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 10

Hi Rikki,

Ask the client to close the contract if you haven't already and feel free to close it yourself. Even in case that contract is inactive, it wouldn't affected your Job Success Score that much. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Rekha S Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
4 of 10

Hi Vladimir, 

I am in a similar situation as the OP. I have a client who is MIA due to a health condition. The work was supposed to resume after a month but it's more than six weeks now. I don't want to pester my client as he most likely hasn't recovered yet. 

I don't want to close this 10% ST contract as we haven't reached the $500 mark. At the same time, I don't want this inactive contract affecting my JSS.

Is there a way to pause this hourly contract at my end or through UP, for another month or so? Is it necessary?

Best,
Rekha

Highlighted
5 of 10

Hi Rekha,

Pausing a contract will not prevent it from becoming inactive after a certain period of time. Also, the service fee applied on this contract is based on the lifetime billing with this client, so even if you close this contract the same fee will still be applied on your future contracts.

If you don't expect to hear back from your client in the near future, please consider closing this contract yourself.

Highlighted
Community Leader
6 of 10

Thanks Vladimir, for your quick response and for pausing the contract. I'll wait for a month to give the client a chance to respond. before closing the job.

I was under the impression that fresh contracts after July with the same client came with a 20% ST. I have a client with whom I briefly worked in March and then again from August. I am being charged 20% under the new contract.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 10

Has your lifetime billing with this client reached $500? If so, the 10% applies. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
8 of 10

No Irene,

In both cases, earnings are below the threshold amount That's why I am hesitant to close the inactive one, as new rates will apply, if and when the client returns,

I find this line in Vladimir's statement confusing. 

Also, the service fee applied on this contract is based on the lifetime billing with this client, so even if you close this contract the same fee will still be applied on your future contracts.

Maybe; he didn't notice this part of my oriignal query -- my current earning from inactive contract is below $500.

Highlighted
9 of 10

Hi Rekha,

I now understand your relationship with this client started before the new pricing was implemented, that's why the 10% service fee is still applied. I'm sorry I didn't read that from your post earlier, the information I shared regarding contracts' inactivity still applies.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 10

It takes a LOT longer than "a few weeks" of inactivity to make a paused contract affect JSS. From observation over a long period of time even 3 months does not affect it...... (yet)

Rikki, you do not have a contract that has been inactive long enough to have affected your JSS, so that is NOT what affected your JSS

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS