cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Upwork identify/show the time zone of the client/freelancer?

This widget could not be displayed.
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 20

Hi Margarete,

We do check to ensure the location reported by our users upon registration is true but I'm not able to provide more details about the exact process, in order to prevent abuse. You can report a user's profile directly to Support, so we could review before determining if a user has violated our policy by registering a false location. As you noted, there are legitimate reasons for temporarily having a different location (including a business trip, backpackin' adventure, vacation etc.), so we need to review each case separately.

We'll continue to work on ways to ensure the truthfulness of information being reported by all users.

3 of 20

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Margarete,

We do check to ensure the location reported by our users upon registration is true but I'm not able to provide more details about the exact process, in order to prevent abuse. You can report a user's profile directly to Support, so we could review before determining if a user has violated our policy by registering a false location. As you noted, there are legitimate reasons for temporarily having a different location (including a business trip, backpackin' adventure, vacation etc.), so we need to review each case separately.

We'll continue to work on ways to ensure the truthfulness of information being reported by all users.

Hi Vladimir, I understand. However, I do not want to report clients or freelancers if I see a discrepancy. As data can be changed in the settings, I have become to the conclusion that place of residence shown in the profile as well as time zone can be wrong and discrepancies are an alarm signal for me.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 20

@Margarete M wrote:

Hi Vladimir, I understand. However, I do not want to report clients or freelancers if I see a discrepancy. As data can be changed in the settings, I have become to the conclusion that place of residence shown in the profile as well as time zone can be wrong and discrepancies are an alarm signal for me.

Possibly those users are reporting their locations accurately, but listing the time zone they work in rather than their local time zone. 

I've had two different periods of my life wherein my primary work occurred in a different time zone, and I essentially lived on the schedule associated with that zone.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
BEST ANSWER
5 of 20

"An accurate time zone is very important to me.  While I do work with international clients, I want accurate information available to me at all times so that I may make the best choices with regard to who I contract with"

That's the best thing I've read on this thread so far...

I work mainly at night. I have clients from around the world. Right now I'm actively by the day working with three clients: at UCT +1, -5  and +10. My own timezone is as irrelevant to them as it is to me. We don't need one-on-ones; but if we ever need real-time messaging there's always a time window. All I know is I've done it for three years and it obviously works.

So, does that mean that misrepresenting, or giving conflicting, timezone information is irrelevant to me? NO - because it's all about trust. At the start of a job I double-check the timezone - but mainly to be sure of meeting, and being clear about, deadlines. If there's a discrepancy I'll ask about it. A good client will give a good answer. But if a client is shifty or dubious about the zone they're in, then your level of trust shifts downward accordingly - to the extent that you have to make a gut decision about what's going on...

Ace Contributor
MS. Joy D Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
6 of 20

@Margarete, Client is in different location but works a different time zone.

Those are two different upwork settings.

For example you can be based in US but working with Australia's Timezone for work related schedules.

Regards.

7 of 20

@Joy D wrote:

@Margarete, Client is in different location but works a different time zone.

Those are two different upwork settings.

For example you can be based in US but working with Australia's Timezone for work related schedules.

Regards.

15 - 18 hours time difference, your time zone is always linked to your location. However, you can feel free working in the night in order to comply with a schedule.

Ace Contributor
MS. Joy D Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
8 of 20

Margarete, at the moment there is no such binding policy which says that " your time zone must be always linked to your location".

TimeZone can also be interpreted as "when you are available on upwork" especially for those with day jobs or those who have made special provisions for that particular time zone.

What we all know is that your location must be your actual location.

There are more pressing issues to deal with and not this.

Regards.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
9 of 20

@Joy D wrote:

Margarete, at the moment there is no such binding policy which says that " your time zone must be always linked to your location".

TimeZone can also be interpreted as "when you are available on upwork" especially for those with day jobs or those who have made special provisions for that particular time zone.

What we all know is that your location must be your actual location.

There are more pressing issues to deal with and not this.

Regards.

True it doesn't have to be linked to your location if you are on vacation or a business trip, but it does need to be your physical place where you reside.  Actually location plays a big part of whether or not I apply to certain projects because I don't want to get emails in the middle of the night and be expected to get up and answer them, and get dinged on availability in feedback.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
10 of 20

Joy, it would be wise to remove your skype ID from your title. As for your interpretation of timezone... I strongly disagree. If I were a client based in the US and had a proposal sent by you to one of my jobs, I would feel inclined to not trust you, because I wouldn't be able to understand why you say you're in Ghana while at the same time saying that you are in my timezone.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS