🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Downloading apps
Page options
9861d067
Community Member

Downloading apps

Hi!

My name is Pamela and I am very new to Upwork, but I think I'm going to enjoy if I can ever figure out who's scamming and who's not!

I am being asked to download Viber, Telegram, etc., and it's truly a headache with so many scammers.  I applied to two jobs already and both were scams.  I am really out here trying to work for myself and when this happens, it's disappointing.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Pamela

7 REPLIES 7
AndreaG

Hi Pamela,

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered this kind of activity in the marketplace. Please know that you can always flag these job posts as inappropriate. Every report is sent directly to our Trust and Safety team for investigation.

For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

~Andrea
Upwork
researchediting
Community Member

Pamela B wrote:

... I am very new to Upwork, but I think I'm going to enjoy if I can ever figure out who's scamming and who's not!

I am being asked to download Viber, Telegram, etc., and it's truly a headache with so many scammers.  I applied to two jobs already and both were scams.  I am really out here trying to work for myself and when this happens, it's disappointing.

Downloading any app (presumably for the purpose of communicating with a prospective client and/or managing your work) prior to having a contract is a likely violation of Terms of Service, and could get your account banned.

Upwork, with a certain amount of limitations and friction, provides the tools necessary to manage our contracts and our pre-contract communications.

As freelancing professionals, we own the tools we need to do the work we seek, or are prepared to invest in them.

Any other ask, demand, or expectation from a prospective client to download or use their specific software or site is a big red flag. 

I’m not the one reaching out to them; I’m only applying to the job! I have told them “no thank you” immediately when I feel it’s a scam.

Like I stated, I’m new to this, but I will be more careful.

Thank you!
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Yep, these telegram scammers are all over here lately, posting multiple times per day. I've flagged more than 20 of them in the past 3 hours, and of course those are just the ones that show in my limited search categories. Ridiculous.

Agreed! Thank you for responding!

I know now, if anyone ask me to do anything outside of Upwork, to flag them!

Maybe a list of possible scammers, like Telegram, can be put together and placed on the site as part of the information.

In the meantime, I’ll keep moving along!

Thanks again!
tlbp
Community Member

Pamela B wrote:

Hi!

My name is Pamela and I am very new to Upwork, but I think I'm going to enjoy if I can ever figure out who's scamming and who's not!

Please advise.

Thank you,

Pamela

Don't download anything other than the Upwork Time Tracker. Don't communicate with any prospect using methods other than the Upwork messaging system before they send you a contract offer and you accept it. 

Do a search on the forums for previous posts about scams to get an idea of the scammers' methods. Also, do a general web search for articles about "freelance job scams" to find descriptions of the most common ploys. 

Finally, trust no one. When communicating with potential clients, don't assume the best without also considering the worst. 

9861d067
Community Member

Thank you!
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members