cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duolingo: did you smile for the camera?

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 11

Duolingo Proficiency Exam for English...did you smile for the camera?

Community Guru
Manish A Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
2 of 11

Exactly don't know but I was surprised to see that Leap Year days as DOB are not acceptable at Duolingo.Smiley Surprised

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 11

re: "Was the Duolingo Proficiency Exam for English really worth the time and effort to take?"

I thought it was an interesting experience.

I was impressed by how extensive Duolingo's efforts are to make certain that the test is taken fairly, without cheating.

It IS a proctored test, with Duolingo employees reviewing the video footage of the person taking the test, and also reviewing official government identification to verify the identity of the person taking the test.

And the test has been carefully created to discern different levels of English language proficiency.

You should know going into it that the test isn't really designed to separate intelligent people with native-level English proficiency from brilliant word nerds. The test is meant to distinguish between non-English speakers, people with some English proficiency, and people with native-level proficiency.

On a scale of 1 to 10.

I don't think it really takes that much time to register and take the test. Less time than it would take to watch a movie.

Is it worth it?

I don't know. With my name, photo and locale in Tempe, Arizona I doubt that many potential clients have doubts about my ability to speak English, and most of what people hire me to do doesn't require a particularly high level of English language proficiency anyway.

So I doubt that my Duolingo test results have an impact on my income.

But I like having the Duolingo test results on my profile and I like the little blue checkmark on my profile that says I'm a verified native English speaker. For me, it's probably just aesthetically pleasing rather than practical, though.

I can imagine that Duolingo test results may be of more practical use to a contractor whose English language abilities are an important aspect of the skills they are marketing, and whose name or national origin might make verifying their English proficiency more appealing. If a person is NOT a native English speaker but they want to demonstrate that they have native-level English skill, then a high Duolingo test result could be a helpful marketing element on their profile.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
4 of 11

I decided for myself that it's not. I won't be giving them $20 for that badge any time soon.

5 of 11

re: "I decided for myself that it's not. I won't be giving them $20 for that badge any time soon."

Vesna is correct that the test now costs $20.00 to take.

When I took the test, it was free to do so.

That was last year, probably not long after oDesk began using Duolingo as a language proficiency verification/testing vendor.

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
6 of 11

How much time did it take for the blue check mark to appear once the certification was added to the profile?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 11

I would love to have certifications for other languages than English. By talking with me, clients can see that I'm fluent in English. But what they really want to know is how fluent I am in French, and considering that they often can't speak it themselves, they can't be sure.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
8 of 11

@Rene,

oh, I didn't even see that it isn't possible in any other language than English until now when I read your post. That's really too bad, although they probably don't have the manpower/resources?

Or they are just waiting until I am ready Smiley Very Happy since I just started a few days ago on French and am only at 23% (despite 2 years of French in school. In my defence, that was two decades ago and during my "more interested in other stuff" school years.)

Maybe more people inquiring about it might help?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 11

@Sandra T wrote:

@Rene,

oh, I didn't even see that it isn't possible in any other language than English until now when I read your post. That's really too bad, although they probably don't have the manpower/resources?

Or they are just waiting until I am ready Smiley Very Happy since I just started a few days ago on French and am only at 23% (despite 2 years of French in school. In my defence, that was two decades ago and during my "more interested in other stuff" school years.)

Maybe more people inquiring about it might help?

I don't think it has anything to do with manpower or resources since the process in entirely automatized and managed by Duolingo.

I think it's just because Upwork has never seen the need of this before, and because this kind of feature would only benefit to translators.

Other that that, Duolingo is really amazing for learning foreign languages. If I was not so lazy, I would have learned Spanish and German by now :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Lia B Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
10 of 11

This seems a shame to me. I'm not a translator, just harbor a lifelong admiration/jealousy for those who are bilingual. Smiley Happy

Would this site help? It offers testing/certification in many languages for ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) accreditation/affiliation (looks like accreditation, but I didn't delve far enough to confirm if the "individual" test does that). $95 is a lot more than $20, but it's an investment (and a tax write-off, if you're in the US), so... maybe?  Smiley Happy 

https://www.profluentplus.com/ 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS