🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Email off Upwork
Page options
0d2ed954
Community Member

Email off Upwork

Hi,

I received my first message from a client regarding a proposal I sent them. The message said she would like to offer me their project, but to email them to a separate email account to ask any questions and get the information. Is this ok?

I have listened to some of the recorded training and they all say that all communication with clients must be done on the Upwork site and never off of it. 

I do not want to lose out on this project, but also want to ensure I am following all the rules.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

If this person needs you to communicate with her off-platform, she can hire you officially first.

If she asks that you communicate via email before you have been hired, then it means she is a scammer or a rule-breaker.

If you are caught doing that, you could lose your Upwork account.

This person probably just wants to steal your money.

Offer her the opportunity to communicate with you using the Upwork Messages tool. If she does not do so, then click on the Three Dots icon on the job posting page and use the "Flag as inappropriate" option to report her.

Thanks so much for your quick response. I will let her know we have to communicate on the platform until a contract is signed.

JoanneP

Hi Erin,

Communication outside of Upwork before a contract is placed is a violation of Upwork TOS. Preston is right. Once you are hired, you may decide with your client how you would like to discuss further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members