cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless revisions, exceeded conditions & a super slow job.

johnmatthew1980
John M Member Since: Apr 30, 2017
1 of 13

Need advise about my first job.

I'm a graphic designer with more than 15 years of experience. I just knew upwork and joined a few weeks ago.
Got my first job to design a logo for a fixed price shortly after that. I discussed with the client before starting about the number of designs i will deliver him to choose from. I told him i usually make 3 and he told me he needed more because he is not the decision maker and because he has no idea about how the logo should look like. Finally we agreed on 5 designs to choose from.
I made him 5 designs and sent them to him. The next day he requested additional 3 to choose from regardless what we agreed on. I designed the additional ones and sent to him as well to be total 8 designs. I did that without any discussions with him cause i wanted to make a good impression in my first job for a good feedback.
Afterwards he selected 1 of the 8 designs and asked for a revision after revision for the selected design until it reached total 10 revisions and i delivered all.
After all this he suddenly showed me an old logo design that was previously made for his company and asked me to recreate it entirely (according to the company owner's opinion) to be the 9th design i'm gonna deliver to pick from. And all that for the same fixed price.
I asked politely for a price adjustment as we exceeded the agreement conditions and he ignored it.
Anyway, i made him the requested remake for the logo he sent me (two revisions). That was 4 days ago and he just replied once after that saying he's waiting for the owner's feedback and i'm sure that he will request more modifications.
I spent so many hours on this job & still doing and it seems that it's not going to end.

My questions are:

1 - Should i present my work officially and request payment or it will be understood as a hostile action from his point of view ?
2 - Should i / How can i ask for a price adjustment officially as he significantly exceeded the agreement conditions ?
3 - If i did the above can he leave me a bad feedback that may affect my new profile ?

4 - Would it affect my profile negativelly that the job is taking too long (about three weeks) although that is caused by the client ?

Thanks,

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

This is a common problem that newbie freelancers face. So don't take it personally. You need to learn how to use the Upwork interface and tools to properly manage fixed-price contracts so as to avoid scope creep.

One thing you need to do is discern between clients who are capable of using the fixed-price contract model, and those who aren't. A certain percentage are psychologically incapable of comprehending this type of contract. With them you must only use hourly contracts.

johnmatthew1980
3 of 13

so whatmdo you suggest for me to do in this particular job ?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 13

John, it's hard to guess how your client will feel about a request for payment, but that doesn't change the fact that it's long past time to submit one. You entered into a contract to complete five designs and have done double that, not including revisions. You finished the job.

There is a possibility that the client will leave negative feedback, but the alternative appears to be working on this same job without additional payment for the rest of your life. Sometimes you just have to politely pull the plug and move forward. It's harder to absorb negative feedback right out of the gate, without a history of good ratings, but you can move past it if it comes to that.

johnmatthew1980
5 of 13

What i understood that you are suggesting that i officially present my work and request payment despite what he may think of it.

What about the price adjustment. Does upwork has any solution regarding that the agreement conditions were exceeded ?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 13

re: "Does upwork has any solution regarding that the agreement conditions were exceeded?"

Answer: No.

Upwork offers no solution. This is between you and the client.

Clients may pay a bonus at any time. But that would come about as a result of you discussing the matter with the client. Upwork is not going to intervene.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 13

@John M wrote:

What i understood that you are suggesting that i officially present my work and request payment despite what he may think of it.

What about the price adjustment. Does upwork has any solution regarding that the agreement conditions were exceeded ?

John,

Unfortunately your contract is between you and the client, Upwork will not interfere with that, nor should they. This is your business. If your bid stated a specific number of revisions which you have repeatedly reminded the client of, I would suggest you submit a final iteration of the logo, hit the "get paid" button, and then wait it out. If the client does nothing, your money will automatically be released in 14 days. Since you did specify the number of revisions you would provide, I seriously doubt the client will dispute anything.

In future bids, make sure you add verbiage that covers what is called "scope creep", to prevent this from happening again.

That's my 2¢.

johnmatthew1980
8 of 13

Thanks Virginia for you reply.

Does the number of designs and revisions have to be stated clearly in my bidding or it also can be agreed during the  prior to hiring chat in order to save me from the "scope creep"?

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 13

@John M wrote:

Thanks Virginia for you reply.

Does the number of designs and revisions have to be stated clearly in my bidding or it also can be agreed during the  prior to hiring chat in order to save me from the "scope creep"?

Both. State it clearly in your bids, and in the initial discussion phase as well.

johnmatthew1980
10 of 13

Ok. Thanks a lot for your replies.

My last inquiry is what if he asks for more revisions and major modifications after i request my payment ?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS