🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Equipment Payment
Page options
danitamoon
Community Member

Equipment Payment

Hi--

I'm new to Upworks and accepted two short-term projects. I've received an employment letter from both. I was initially contacted on Upworks then the interview moved to Skype chat with the interview questions etc. They both sent a scanned copy of a check for equipment that I'd need to purchase for the job. I did a mobile deposit for one as they said they'd arrange to have the paper check sent to me. They had me make a couple of payments to their vendors and then my bank froze my account. The representative is now not responding to my messages. I asked if the job would be done through UpWorks as I was unsure and she said yes. How should I proceed? I'm hoping this is a legit opportunity. Thank you advance for your assistance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Danita,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your other report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yeah... those are just scammers trying to steal money out of your bank account.

What's the best way to resolve this. I'm afraid I'm going to be out some major money because I researched the company. I feel like such an idiot and I was being thorough. I have all my documentation and chats from the person. The other one tried the same thing but I requested a physical check. I'll decline their offer. I definitely will be sure everything is done through Upworks. The trials of being a newbie.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Danita,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. I’ve checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account.

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Have they both been removed? I have another one as well. How can I report that one?

Reporting that other job is a low priority for you right now. That is the oldest scam here and UW  constantly plays whack-a-mole trying to eliminate those thieves. What keeps them coming back is newbies who leap in to using the platform without first understanding how it works. In any case, what you need to focus on is trying to get your money back and trying to make sure your bank doesn't kick you to the curb.

After you get that sorted, come back and spend some time reading the reams of information available about how this platform works and how to work safely and profitably here. If you had done that to start with, you would have known it is a ToS violation to communicate with a prospective client off the platform, e.g. via Skype before you have a contract; and  it is a MAJOR violation to accept payment any other way than through Upwork. 

BTW, it's Upwork, not Upworks.

Sorry if it seems like I'm kicking you when you're down. It's just tremendously frustrating to people sign up on the platform week after week and get tangled up with scammers because they didn't take time to learn how to use the platform appropriately. It's not an app you can figure out as you go. I really do hope you don't lose much money on this and I really do wish you good luck going forward.

ETA: This is not a jobs board or a temp agency. If a prospective client invites you to interview with anyone from HR or their hiring manager, it's some kind of scam. Freelancing, aka independent contracting, is transacted between the client who needs the work done and the freelancer performing the work. Also, until you establish a track record here, unsolicited invitations are virtually certain to be scams.

Thank you. I am in the process of working with my bank. I definitely
learned a valuable lesson. Sorry for the typo on Upwork's name. I
appreciate the upfront honesty on my stupidity.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Danita,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your other report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Danita M wrote:
Thank you. I am in the process of working with my bank. I definitely
learned a valuable lesson. Sorry for the typo on Upwork's name. I
appreciate the upfront honesty on my stupidity.

'Stupidity' is your word, not mine. It's all too easy to get excited when it feels like you're getting some traction, and forget to be careful. Just remember that UW is like the brick-and-mortar world -- full of great people and crooks, experts and the clueless. You need to beware of unscrupulous clients but also those who know less than you do about how the platform works. Either one can trip you up. Do your homework and use this forum to get answers you can't find on your own.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members