🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » FIRST CHOICE PAY and Upwork
Page options
sashaxy
Community Member

FIRST CHOICE PAY and Upwork

Hello everyone,

I ordered FirstChoicePay card, which is basically Payoneer - they are in the process of rebranding.
Can I use my FirstChoicePay card to withdraw my earnings from Upwork? It's should work, since it's the same company.

Thanks for any replies,

Tjaša

18 REPLIES 18
reinierb
Community Member

@Tjasa J wrote:

Hello everyone,

I ordered FirstChoicePay card, which is basically Payoneer - they are in the process of rebranding.
Can I use my FirstChoicePay card to withdraw my earnings from Upwork? It's should work, since it's the same company.

Thanks for any replies,

Tjaša

It may well work as a method to withdraw money from Upwork, but getting this card may not be a good idea. From what I've read about it, it seems that Payoneer had created this card specifically for use in the adult industry, since they will not disclose the list of partner companies. I may be wrong about the adult industry angle, but you may want to rethink this one...

sashaxy
Community Member

wow,  i had no idea. I ordered this card a few months ago for no specific reason..my friend told me he used to have a Payoneer card and they sent him this new FirstChoicePay when his old one expired.

My friend has been using it for some time, and it's great. There are no problems.

Has he been withdrawing funds from Upwork to FirstChoicePay?:)

sashaxy
Community Member

Hi Goran,

I understand, but Payoneer is now changing all their cards to Firstchoice pay, like it says in their FAQ. So that means that everyone who are using payoneer will eventually end up with Firstchoice pay.

sashaxy
Community Member

this is from Payoneer FAQ:

"

In order to continue receiving payments, you must hold a prepaid MasterCard® issued by Choice Bank. If you were asked to order a new card (via email or upon logging in to your Payoneer account), please do so now.

If you did not receive a message to your email or within your Payoneer account, this means you already have a prepaid MasterCard® issued by Choice Bank and do not need to order a new card."

reinierb
Community Member

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Tjasa,

Please contact Payoneer customer support and consult with them about this.

Hi Goran,

Your response is singularly unhelpful. First you say that FirstChoice is not available as a withdrawal method, then you say we have to contact Payoneer about it?

There are thousands of users (me included) who use their Payoneer accounts as a withdrawal method. What we need to know is Upwork's position on this- not to be fobbed off with an unhelpful, disengenuous response.  

reinierb
Community Member

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Tjasa,

This type of card is not allowed to be set up as a withdrawal method, you can only use Payoneer account.
If you would like to use another option, you can check out our withdrawal options on this Help Article.

Goran,

According to Payoneer, nothing changes from the card users' perspective, except the name on the debit card. That said, can you confirm unequivocally that if Payoneer switches existing Payoneer cards over to the new FirstChoice cards, these users will no longer be able to use Payoneer as a withdrawal method? Has Upwork had any communication from Payoneer about this? 

Hi Reinier,

Unfortunately I can`t confirm anything at this moment.
I have already made a report for our team so that we can check the details about this change and advice accordingly.

~ Goran
Upwork

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Reinier,

Unfortunately I can`t confirm anything at this moment.
I have already made a report for our team so that we can check the details about this change and advice accordingly.

Hi Goran,

Thanks! 

reinierb
Community Member

@Tjasa J wrote:

wow,  i had no idea. I ordered this card a few months ago for no specific reason..my friend told me he used to have a Payoneer card and they sent him this new FirstChoicePay when his old one expired.

It seems the adult industry angle does not apply. I found this FAQ from Payoneer that answers some questions. 

petra_r
Community Member

It does not seem to affect all Payoneer users. I have two Payoneer cards on one account (one for US Dollar and one for Euro) and just had the US Dollar card renewed and the new card is also branded Payoneer.

sashaxy
Community Member

Hi Petra,

when did you have it renewed? FirstChoicePay seems to be active from 1st of Feb.

It doesnt matter what kind of debit card they Payoneer people are issuing to you.

Once you link your payoneer account to Upwork, the withdrawal from Upwork is to your Payoneer account and it will be loaded to the LIVE card there in Payoneer.

I have added my payoneer account with Upwork long back and after that my Payoneer card was changed twice and that didnt affect anything with my withdrawal from Upwork to Payoneer.

Basically we are linking our Payoneer ID with Upwork, not the particular card from Payoneer.

petra_r
Community Member

@Tjasa J wrote:

Hi Petra,

when did you have it renewed? FirstChoicePay seems to be active from 1st of Feb.

The change happened on the First of February 2017..... a year ago. It only affected and affects some Payoneer users.

my card literally just arrived, and I have not received any communication from Payoneer that anything has changed.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tjasa and Reinier,

Following on the concerns you shared, I'd like to clarify that when using Payoneer as a withdrawal method on Upwork, the funds are directly sent to the Payoneer account and not to the card, which will also reflect the amount if a user opted to get the card, which is the process Goran was referring to. Any changes related to the debit card Payoneer issues shouldn't affect the service Payoneer offers and as long as you have an active Payoneer account, your withdrawals should be processed as usual. 

If this is a change that Ramesh and Petra mentioned, which happened a year ago or a new update similar to the previous one, I can confirm from personal experience that it didn't affect the disbursement flow.

We are working from our end to get a confirmation from Payoneer and will follow up here once we receive an update.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Tjasa and Reinier,

Following on the concerns you shared, I'd like to clarify that when using Payoneer as a withdrawal method on Upwork, the funds are directly sent to the Payoneer account and not to the card, which will also reflect the amount if a user opted to get the card, which is the process Goran was referring to. Any changes related to the debit card Payoneer issues shouldn't affect the service Payoneer offers and as long as you have an active Payoneer account, your withdrawals should be processed as usual. 

If this is a change that Ramesh and Petra mentioned, which happened a year ago or a new update similar to the previous one, I can confirm from personal experience that it didn't affect the disbursement flow.

We are working from our end to get a confirmation from Payoneer and will follow up here once we receive an update.

Thanks, Vladimir!

7dfb7ea0
Community Member

Hi all,

I wanted to clarify a little and hopefully this will help:

First Choice Pay is not Payoneer re-branded, but a branch out for different lines of business. Some users who have been using Payoneer were switched to First Choice Pay depending on their business lines since last February. 

Upwork users still remain within the Payoneer brand, and therefor all Upwork users see Payoneer as their payment method option. For new users holding First Choice Pay cards, there is not problem to hold a Payoneer card in addition to receive payments from Upwork. To learn more about this, or if you have specific issues with that, I do highly recommend that you contact Payoneer customer care- our team will be able to look into specific cases and help if needed.

Cheers,

Sivan- Community Manager at Payoneer

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths