🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Facebook Catfish?
Page options
theashleyhuang
Community Member

Facebook Catfish?

Someone claims to have their FB account (personal) stolen, which is the admin of a FB page that has more than 20k. And now wants to hire someone to create a new FB account to "retreive" access to the FB page. Red flag? I'm concerned that this person is a catfish (but I can't verify) and even if I turn this person down, he/she will continue trying to hire people to do this. 

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you see a job posting that violates Upwork ToS or that can be flagged for one of the specific reasons provided as options, then you have the right to flag that job posting.

re: "...and even if I turn this person down, he/she will continue trying to hire people to do this."

It is not your responsibility to stop every possible bad thing that people might do. Beyond (possibly) flagging that job posting and discussing it in the Forum, what exactly do you propose doing?

And as you said... you don't even know if the client in question has done anything wrong. (What if somebody stole their Facebook account and they just want to get it back?)

re: "I'm concerned that this person is a catfish (but I can't verify)"

well... I believe that all Facebook users are catfish. So there's that.

I have contacted the moderator as she suggested.

About this incident, I should say I was more confused and unsure than anything else, that's why I came up here wondering if anyone has come across similar cases. I didn't want to wrongfully accuse someone of sth they didn't do, but at the same time I didn't want other freelancers accidentally accept the job if it was actually shady...

On your last note, haha! I just gotta say I love the honesty. And thanks again for your input here!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wan-ju, 

If you haven't already, please flag the job post as inappropriate so that the team can review the job post, and the client's account. 

Alternatively, you can send me a private message with more information so that I can look into this further.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members