cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling uneasy and need an answer...

crupe_victoria
Victoria C Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
1 of 11

So, I am a newbie and got what I thought was an awesome message about being chosen as a freelancer for a company.  I was given a Google Hangout email to add to get more information from.  The email was **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  They are inviting me to work for them but not thru Upwork.  Red flag...

So I add them and talk to them.  There are numerous spelling errors...another red flag.

They tell me Id be working for **Edited for Community Guidelines**, I'd undergo a training period at $15/hour then earn $22/hour after that doing admin type work as well as accounting work and clerical stuff.  Sounds good there.  

Then they ask a bunch of questions that seem normal and I respond.  We get almost done, they offer the job and I am excited.  They then sweeten the pot with a free Apple laptop but I need to buy $495 worth of software that they will reimburse with my first pay check...RED FLAG!!

They also ask how I want to be paid and I tell them paypal as I am not gonna give out my personal bank info.  Then they ask for name, address, phone number, etc, which I give as i figured that they were confirming my resume information and it's easy enough to find that info anyway.

From here I decide to check out the company that wants me to work for them and the site I am directed to has the name I was given however, has NOTHING to do with what they want me hired for...RED FLAG!!  

My question is this:  Is this legit?  Has this person contacted anyone else like this?  Have I been totally scammed into thinking I was getting a legit work offer?  

I need help!

Thanks,

Victoria Crupe

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 11

Scam report it and move on. Never ever pay for software or offer to be paid off of Upwork. It is a good way to lose you money and account here.

karandrakis
Ace Contributor
Keri K Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
3 of 11

Definitely a scam. Paying outside of Upwork's platform is a violation of the Terms of Service. 

It was smart of you not to give them your bank account info, but there's still a chance they could be stealing the personal info that you did give them. I have to ask, if you noticed so many red flags, why did you give them the info anyway? 

crupe_victoria
4 of 11

Honestly, It wasn't until I got to the end of the conversation that I started thinking about it.  I thought that they were asking questions to verify what I have on my profile.  It just didn't click until after the whole conversation took place and I had that yucky feeling in my gut...stupid, I know...

doty_jack
Jack D Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
5 of 11

Seems to be a lot of that kind of thing here. I got an invite and offer to work outside via craigslist. I gathered intel and have been trying to forward to Upwork staff but cannot find an email for them.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 11

Hi Jack and Shanea, 

If you haven't already, you may report these clients to our Customer Support team so that they can take action against the job post and the client account. 

Please stop communicating with this client, make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork, use Upwork Protection Programs, only accept to get paid through the platform and never pay in order to bid or be able to work on a job. 

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

~ Avery
Upwork
evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
7 of 11

@Victoria,

In general, agreeing to get paid outside Upwork (even suggesting it is a big 'NO') can lead to both yours and your client's account suspensions. That's a really big violation. Oh and yes, the job was a scam.

crupe_victoria
8 of 11

It was an honest mistake and really hope that my account is not suspended for this.  I am obviously not taking any further steps from here on out.  If it's not thru Upwork then I will not even consider talking to them.  I just thought that they saw my profile and were contacting me thru that and that it would be work done thru Upwork.  Lesson learned!

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 11

@Victoria C wrote:

It was an honest mistake and really hope that my account is not suspended for this.  I am obviously not taking any further steps from here on out.  If it's not thru Upwork then I will not even consider talking to them.  I just thought that they saw my profile and were contacting me thru that and that it would be work done thru Upwork.  Lesson learned!

It's unlikely they'll suspend you I think as this is a very common scam that targets new users. But make sure you familiarise yourself with the ToS and spend some time in the forums here. Never start work without a valid Upwork contract (you'll see a job in the "My Jobs" section), never accept payment off-platform or even discuss it with a client. You may want to stick to working for clients with established reputations and job histories to start with until you get more familiar with the platform. You may also want to keep your communication through the Upwork platform instead of moving off-site - it's not against the ToS to communicate off-site, but if you keep it on-site then there's a record if you have to report or dispute anything. 

oconnorshanea
Shanea O Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
10 of 11

It smells like a scam to me. I don't have a lot of jobs under my belt but I've been invited to or applied to a few jobs like the one you're describing. The biggest flag is asking how you want to be paid. Everything needs to be paid via upwork. Second, having to put money out upfront is not how a job should be. I was searching the forums to see if anyone had a similiar experience with a job invite I just got. I can tell by my research that it's a scam. Be very careful especially if the person is a first time user and there isn't a lot of information.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS