🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Financial Professionals - Your thoughts on lo...
Page options
jasonkgreen73
Community Member

Financial Professionals - Your thoughts on low rates for sophisticated skills?

I am a corporate finance professional. I have a degree in finance and an MBA from a top 35 school. I have 20 years of experience and built my financial modeling and Excel skills to a very high level.

It surprises me to see jobs posted on Upwork that would utilize my skillset to its fullest yet only offer $25/hr. I could literally go flip burgers at In-n-Out for $20/hr. I've seen some posts offering $5-7/hr. 

As a financial professional, how do you approach these opportunities? Do you skip them? Do you apply with a market rate? Have you landed one of these roles at a market rate? Are those who post these roles truly looking to spend such low rates? Is it a matter of just not knowing the market? Does Upwork do anything to help educate the job poster on the market rates? How in the heck am I supposed to compete if people get these roles at such low rates?

4 REPLIES 4
m-j-boujaoude
Community Member

Hello Jason, 
I have a BA in business and an MBA

a BA in Multimedia and telecommunication 

and a BA in translation and I take work sometimes as low as 7$/hour

how can you prove your worth without proving your experience on upwork?

a client will pay you more after you have proved experience but don't expect a client to pay you more 

if you do not have a proven experience on Upwork 

have a great day 

Isn't that what a resume is for? Isn't that what reviews are for? I've worked too hard on my education, technical skills, and career to work for $7/hr. That's less than minimum wage. There is no guarantee that someone who hires me at $7/hr will pay a market rate of $100/hr or more in the future. They will likely think, "I got this guy at $7/hr, why should I pay more? If he wants more, I'll just go find someone else at $7/hr."

Maroun is correct. Just because you bring excellent skills, doesn't mean you won't have to begin anew. When I started, I had stellar reviews, glowing testimonials, and top-notch skills. It didn't matter when it came to getting established. In many ways, it was like starting over. While everyone is different, my experience is much more common than those who immediately find high-paying jobs.

I discourage everyone from taking dirt cheap jobs. If you have the skills, no matter your location or culture, charge for them.

spectralua
Community Member

Clients used "recommended price". Upwork think that your price is $5.

Financial or other fields, dont matter. All prices set to low.

Bots also applied with that price. Client see that 50 peoples will do it for $5 and only you want $250. Of course you will be ignored and your connects (money) is wasted.

Look like professionals no more needed here. Only unskilled bots for cheap. Sorry, but it is current Upwork goals.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members