🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » First scammers, now moochers...
Page options
58563b7a
Community Member

First scammers, now moochers...

Upwork has always been my go-to marketplace for contract jobs when I needed extra money or something to hold me over until I found another full-time job. I've raved about it to friends and colleagues because I never had any issues. However, things definitely seem to have changed recently. These days, I average at least one scammer a week inviting me to interview for a bogus job. I even wasted connects submitting a proposal for one that seemed legit only to have the person attempt to conduct the "interview" over chat which has become an immediate red flag. 

Then yesterday I encountered a new type of scam that I'm calling moochers. I received an invite to interview for a Product Manager job that sounded like it was another PM who just needed some short-term help. We scheduled a meeting over Zoom to discuss and I found out he's a contracted PM working for Kroger who's panicking over a presentation he was asked to do on short notice. He then spent the next 45 minutes talking so fast about what he's trying to accomplish, I could barely get a word in. By the end of it, he told me he'd send over the contract and we'd work out some time this weekend to work on the presentation. 

Unsurprisingly, the contract never came and I confirmed my suspicion that he never intended to hire anyone. Instead, he's posting jobs and using the "interview" to bounce ideas off more experienced PMs. Afterward, he even had the nerve to invite me to a different job that seems completely unrelated to the first one asking for help. What's worse, is he told me he'd already "interviewed" 7 other people before talking to me. I can't imagine being so inept at my job I feel obligated to fake interview numerous people just so I can use them as a security blanket. 

Anyone else ready to give up on Upwork because of all the scammers? 

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

Many professionals already gone. 

Yep, such free consulting is common here. I did that before. But now i asking for contract first. 

I agree with BOTH of you. I have a Video Moocher who has aske countless questions over the past 3 weeks to help him fix issues with his so called "movie". It's the common Film School class project film. Obviously he did not pay attention! His qusetions are film class 101 and he never seems to understand the answer. No matter how "untechnical" I explain it.

2 weeks ago I got the classic "I'll have you a contract by tomoorow"   Thats dope speak for NEVER!

Like CCR (Fogerty) sang  >  "Someday....Never comes"

Mycola> my professionals have been dissapearing since 1992 - the year AVID hit broadcasters.

Good Luck

I mean other competitors in my work area. I keep eye on this to ensure I match my price or skills to the actual needs. I find out that many other pros were here a year or two ago and were never seen online after that. They gone from platform immediately after the gambling (boosts) was introduced. Many clients as well.

Got yah and agree. I bailed on the other major platfoms in December and am not sure how long tI'll stay here.

I set a deadline of July 4. No jobs-no me!

atlinguist
Community Member

I'm not giving up yet. It's such fun weeding out those scammers! And the moochers—thanks for pointing those out. What a nerve! Reminds me of my time working in a department store and hearing the shop assistants' tales about clients trying on not just different sizes but every available colour ... only to then leave without purchasing any of those items (which the assistants then had to fold back up and return in their places, of course). 

2297e2bc
Community Member

Unfortunately I had to write this to a prospective client this morning. But unfortunately it is now a TREND with unprofessional clients.

===============================

You keep offering answers to my profile deficiencies. So that is not mooching.

However, it HAS been 3 weeks of conversation and, in a real stretch of theTOS, an "interview".

You promised an SSD with assets 2 weeks ago - never delivered

How about at least a retention fee? - never delivered

You promised a contract by Noon Tuesday 2 weeks ago - never delivered

You promised audio work - never delivered

You teased with "future work" - never delivered

You tease with "partner and friend work "- never delivered and oldest trick in the book

You say you are busy! Well so am I. So if you cannot deliver - I am done with the conversations!

===============================

Sorry folks.
Freelancers are not government hand outs!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members