cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time experience (and a bad one at that)

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
1 of 4

So I've been translating on oDesk for about a year and a half now, and have always had great relationships with my translation clients (I think that is reflected in my JS and stars...).

Now I've done work for a newbie (me and another translator are their first freelance contractors) client here, and submitted the work via milestone...

They came back to both me and the other contractor with WILD and VAGUE comments/requests for changes, which are for the most part totally unacceptable. They also used inappropriate language, were unprofessional and clearly lacked interpersonal skills. I have subsequently asked for clear revisions, but have yet to receive them...

My question to the folks on the board - since there is no financial transaction between myself and the client (they refused the milestone request), if I cancel the contract (since I clearly know, as does the other freelancer, that I will never be able to satisfy said client), what would the impact be? I am assuming that it would be similar to the "refund to clear bad feedback" approach, but this is rather a "I know you'll never be happy so I'm done with you" approach...

I have never had to do this in the past, as I've always been pretty successful (see my 130+ jobs)...but I guess there are always (bad) firsts...

Cheers,

William

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
2 of 4

I have never made a refund in order to clear bad feedback (I never let things get that far). Nonetheless, I have ended contracts when clients proved to be problematic after I had been hired. That is, ended contracts without having received any payments.

I tend to refrain from making a lot of money, if any, during the first two work weeks on a new contract with a new client (i.e., a client new to me). That gives the client and me time to get to know one another. That practice also helps avoid being taken advantage of by unscrupulous clients that unjustly attempt to abuse the oDesk Money-back Guarantee program.

Read about the "Client Money-Back Guarantee Beta Program" (See "What is covered?" https://support.odesk.com/entries/23136057-Client-Money-Back-Guarantee-Beta-Program). My experience with that program and two unscrupulous clients makes me think I would be better off if I did not have a "stellar work history on oDesk" (See "Who is covered?" http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/The-oDesk-Money-Back-Guarantee-Beta-More-Confidence-for-...).

To the best of my knowledge, if no monies are paid, freelancer's ending of a contract without completing the contract successfully is held against the freelancer. To what extent [degree, how it is weighted, etc.] it is held against the freelancer, I do not know. What effect it has on the freelancer's Job Success score I do not know either.

I had created a thread where I asked a similar question because I might need to end a contract in the client's absence to avoid being held accountable for possible "missed deadlines" (See "Top Rated | Performance Indicators | Absentee Clients" http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Top-Rated-Performance-Indicators-Absentee-Clients/m-p/7421...).

Members have been kind enough to reply, yet, I'm still waiting for replies from oDesk Community Managers / Moderators.... I will be watching this thread as well.

Cheers!

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
3 of 4

So just to follow up, repeatedly asked the client to respond to questions, and they never did. I spoke with a CS and they sent an email (supposedly) to the client to get them to respond. 

Got a predicament though - date for submission is tomorrow, so I either have to submit the work or cancel the contract tomorrow...first time bad experience.

And, BTW, the other contractor working on the project (another top rated oDesker) has submitted the work yet the client keeps rejecting their requst for milestone payment, without sending a follow-up message...what happens to the milestone if a client never accepts it?

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
4 of 4

Ronald

I think we are on the same page about the questions we have asked in last thread but i think you have asked a very difficult question and there are two questions  from me as well.

Hope you get the answer in this year.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS