🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fixed Price Contract - Need Help AGAIN w/ Bou...
Page options
8183d251
Community Member

Fixed Price Contract - Need Help AGAIN w/ Boundaries & Expectations

I hope @Preston H will help me so I can add to my list of scripted responses I use from him...

Same client.  Fixed price contract and this is what is happening today.  Instead of just allowing me access to some details for her domain I was asked if I could jump on a Zoom and help her changed the necessary information.  Ummm??  I said I could not do that and that the company may be able to provide support.  I feel like I should have been more clear.

The new request is for me to help her with domain changes on our next Zoom (no not in the contract).  What do I say?  If she would just allow me domain access I could have handled this.  

Since the DNS has changed the site is down and she is asking me to RUSH my work to take care of the issue.  The deadline is 4 days.  

Can I require domain access in my next project to avoid this?  How do I handle the ongoing requests and now RUSH requests?  Do I ask for more money for RUSH?  For assisting with the other work and how do I word this?   Not having access to the domain means the project is more work for me.

Now I am even more cautious since I am dealing with a JSS ding for refusing to REBUILD and not just "refresh" a Squarespace website.  

I was doing so well with this and now I need more scripted responses, please.

6 REPLIES 6
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I'm not Preston, but some more details might help. Is the problem that you don't know HOW to do what the client is asking, or that you simply don't want to? Or is it that she expects you to do this for free? 

Christine A wrote:

I'm not Preston, but some more details might help. Is the problem that you don't know HOW to do what the client is asking, or that you simply don't want to? Or is it that she expects you to do this for free? 

Dominique, I'm not Preston either but may I point the obvious? I took a look at some of the reviews you've got...

I'm starting to suspect that your written communication style may not be precise enough for handling these things by text. If your strength is in doing phone calls, try to get every client to agree with that type of communication instead of typing... and agree on the mode before starting the contract. It is often quite hard to get an exact idea of what others are ACTUALLY saying when we don't hear the tone, see the body language, etc. (I try to do everything over video calls... I just get a better understanding of the situation that way. Also, it's faster.)

Also,  from a purely business perspective, it is not a sustainable way to carry on doing a one-person business if you constantly need someone else to write your responses. Also, even if you had a library of great copy-pasted replies, it might not work out as you probably need to get the context-dependent parts right. Better then to scale up your business and let someone more eloquent do the customer-facing parts of the work. Would it make sense?

Option 2: There are people who teach this stuff. Find them, pay them, learn, and improve.

Communication... grrrrr! Smiley LOL

Anyway, keep going. All the best, Dominique. 👍

I have tried to learn with each new contract and keeping a list of scripted responses was a joke.  I am mindful of the responses I receive here and appreciate the experience of others who have been there.

What she was asking for today I am capable of.  It was asking me to work for free, or as part of the current contract without changes, I was unsure how to handle.  So my main question is the correct way to handle that.  Add another milestone?  Say "sure I can help you...I will add that Milestone?"

I appreciate your time.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I can perform the task.  It was the NOW expectation and the assumption it would just be apart of the current contract.  

It was also the constant asking for advice that was turning into me giving time away.  Now have best practices for that one and I am open to more.

a_lipsey
Community Member

I am not Preston either, but I have a feeling he'd agree that this client needs to be an hourly client so that they may have access to request whatever they need and pay for your time, versus for deliverables. Also, why would you work with a client who was unsatisfied with your work last time? Do you like suffering? 

If you require the DNS log in or whatever to continue working with her, then state that, and if she doesn't comply, end the contract. You have plenty of power to deal with this on your own. 

This is not the client that was unhappy last time. Apologies that was not clear.

I was just looking for what may work for freelancers more experienced with the platform; when someone does ask for an obvious “outside of contract” task.

Thank you for responding.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members