Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud or not?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 18

@Balazs F wrote:

And alas, in May or June out of the blue, they paypaled me the money.

So you decided to defraud Upwork (or oDesk as it was then) and thought coming here to rant about how your own fraud went wrong was a bright idea.

Right.

Highlighted
Balazs F Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 18

Hold on ... I didn't even have a contract from this company on Upwork. o.O 

They messaged me on Upwork (Interview), I sent my email, they sent me a contract not on Upwork and so it started (by the way, I was searching them after the problems started on Upwork but could not find them, means they got suspended?).

I do not want to look an innocent, naive blindfolded person who is not aware of the company policies but you believe it or not, I had no idea how things are working in the freelancer cocoon back then.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 18

@Balazs F wrote:

Hold on ... I didn't even have a contract from this company on Upwork. o.O

Exactly.

You took on a contract from a client you found on Upwork (oDesk) and agreed to be paid off the site - defrauding Upwork (oDesk) of their 10%

Then, when it went wrong, you decided to run to the company you defrauded to complain about it.

Clever.

Not.

PS - This may very well get your account (at least temporarily) suspended, and your Top Rated status wiped out for 3 months....

Highlighted
Balazs F Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 18

I just told the truth. It is sometimes self-defeating. Smiley Very Happy Thank you for the hints.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
James T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
15 of 18

Balazs,

I have to say that after reading this thread, I find myself being somewhat confused.

You have effectively come onto this forum to say you are having problems with a client who you met on Odesk, but chose to work outside the official freelancing platiform - You have admitted this on a public forum which is monitored around the clock by people who report to Upwork management.

Have I followed correctly? If yes, then what are you thinking?? You would know this to be one of the top 'No-No's' on here I have no doubt that this does happen throughout the freelancing universe, but generally we don't hear about them because they keep quiet?

While I commend your honesty., I feel that thiis is one of those times where silence is golden.

Also, and again this is something you should already know, if you work outside of these freelancing platforms, you have zero protection and are vulnerable to every dodgy client out there.

I suspect that if you have jnot been paid by now, you won't and there is not a thing you can do abput it.

My advice is keep your head down for s few weeks.

Best of luck

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
16 of 18

I really think it's time to stop piling on this guy. It's getting to the point of bullying.

He was new. He made a mistake. Albeit a bad one but a newbie mistake none the less. It could have happened to anyone who's new. 

I'm sure if he simply tells a moderator in private the whole story it will likely be forgiven this one time.

But, come on. Enough is enough...or do you want blood?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 18

Jean,

Thanks for your comment. Well said.

Balazs isn't a bad guy. He's not a bad contractor. He made a mistake that MANY inexperienced contractors make, and he deserves credit for being very honest about it. Many contractors have made similar or worse mistakes early in their Upwork efforts and have learned from those mistakes and become valued members of the Upwork community.

By sharing his experiences in such detail, Balazs has provided information here in the Forum which is potentially helpful to other new Upwork contractors.

I also appreciate the fact that he took time to re-read my earlier comments and re-consider their intent, which was to provide clear information relating to his original situation. I wish him well and always have, throughout all of this.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 18

Hi All,

Please, note that we are closing this thread from further discussion.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS