🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancing Issue
Page options
1e968716
Community Member

Freelancing Issue

Hello,

I came into contact with someone who needed a freelancer through Upworks on 03/31/2021 and I started working with them directly as of 04/23/2021.

We have been in constant communication through Google Hangouts and now there is an issue with payment for the services I have provided.

There were several red flags throughout the process but I thought nothing of it since we came into contact through here and that everything would be legit.

Here are the red flags:  We agreed to make my start date 05/01/2021 but instead there was a need for me to start early.  The shift in start date meant a shift in pay date.  When the date came 05/23/2021 to get paid, he asked to wait for 06/01/2021.  Today is 06/01/2021 and I have not heard from them at all.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Working with them directly?

Google Hangouts?

Michael:

It sounds like you made some mistakes here, and will never get paid for this work.

In the future, understand that you are not allowed to "work directly" with a client. All payments must go through Upwork.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dataextract
Community Member

Do you have the job officially awarded in Upwork? Fixed or hourly?

The job was never awarded through Upworks.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Working with them directly?

Google Hangouts?

Michael:

It sounds like you made some mistakes here, and will never get paid for this work.

In the future, understand that you are not allowed to "work directly" with a client. All payments must go through Upwork.

Sadly, I understand that now.  

Thank You!

JoanneP

Hi Michael,

Please know that all communications should be done on Upwork before a contract is placed. All payments should also be done on Upwork only. If you see a job that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members