» Forums » Freelancers » Getting a client
Page options
35a6cb80
Community Member

Getting a client

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
codelgado
Community Member

I have helped some friend to find job in Upwork and what I recommend, is to start at a very low price. You want to land around 4 jobs and get an excellent rating on them so you are more visible and attractive for the clients. The idea is that when a client view your proposal, they will see that you have a great rating on Upwork and they can trust in you. Sadly, there a lot of people that lie in their profile, so it is like a lottery for the clients, with some ratings, they will know you are real.

And try to find small jobs, things you can do quickly at the lowest rate. It is going to be a quick investment in your profile!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
35a6cb80
Community Member

I am trying my best to get a job but none of my proposal is been excepted 

Before you apply for another job, read the Terms of Service and this from Wes. You need to run your profile through spellcheck and add something to your portfolio. The item you have doesn't seem related to your job title.

I do not recommend lowering your rate. If you have those skills, $8.00 an hour should suffice. If you don't have the skills, no amount of lowering your fees will get you a job. Clients often look at very low rates as unskilled and desperate freelancers waiting to be used. You have to protect yourself because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you. Learn about automatic tracking and fixed price milestones. Don't be a victim.

Thanks a lot for the review it will be help Jeanne

As I am a newbie I don't have anything to show on my portfolio, what do you suggest 

ahazz-adnan
Community Member

Hey Umair,

If you are new on upwork, it will be a bit difficult to find projects depending on your niche. Just be consistent, and keep learning on how you can improve your cover letter. Always grab the pain points of the clients. And as you are starting out try to apply to jobs paying a luttle less with less proposals so you can stand out. 

Thanks a lot for the advise mate

codelgado
Community Member

I have helped some friend to find job in Upwork and what I recommend, is to start at a very low price. You want to land around 4 jobs and get an excellent rating on them so you are more visible and attractive for the clients. The idea is that when a client view your proposal, they will see that you have a great rating on Upwork and they can trust in you. Sadly, there a lot of people that lie in their profile, so it is like a lottery for the clients, with some ratings, they will know you are real.

And try to find small jobs, things you can do quickly at the lowest rate. It is going to be a quick investment in your profile!

Thank you Cesar for detailed analysis will surel work upon this by getting smaller tasks first although I have the skill sets which I have mentioned 

codelgado
Community Member

Umair, I was in the same position when I started.

Try to see it from the client perspective. They receive more than 50 proposals, a lot of the freelancers looks qualified (and maybe some of them are lying), so the client has to filter, and one of the filters is their ratings and job experience on upwork. 

As I wanted to see if this really worked, I started looking small jobs at a low rate just to get some ratings. And that really helped me! After you get some great ratings, you will be a Raising Talent in Upwork, so the playform will promote you when a client posts a job and that really helps, you will start receiving invitations from clients. 

Maybe there are other ways, but this worked for me and I hope it works for you! Good luck Umair!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members