🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting back into the game
Page options
arlene_taylor
Community Member

Getting back into the game

I started with Upwork in 2018. I had completed a short project, and had just started a long term project as a ghost writer. I'd submitted several chapters, but the latter half of 2018 saw my father in law in and out of hospice, passing in October of that year. Then in December my husband passed away suddenly. I didn't log in for quite some time. I did reach out to my client in March of 2019 to apologize and explain what had happened. Even after not hearing from me, she had left a sweet review about how talented I was, but she was concerned because I seem to have disappeared. She was very understanding when we talked (through Upwork.). I submitted several proposals to other potential clients, but got no response. I was discouraged (and, looking back, probably still very much in the throes of fresh grief.) and just stopped logging in to Upwork, unable to face the disappointment of no replies.

I'm getting back into the game. My question is, as I only have that one review (I was very new to Upwork and had all of two projects under my belt.), could that be a drawback for me? I've thought about just deleting this account and creating another one, but that feels dishonest to me.

Any suggestions?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Starting over with a fresh account is not an option, UW does not permit it.

The single contract with poor feedback isn't helping but you can counteract it by overhauling your profile. Clients aren't interested in how you learned what you know or why you want to do it professionally. They want to know how you can help them. My advice is to search for FLs on the platform who are doing the kind of work you want to do and earning rates you want to earn, and study their profiles. What are their credentials and how do they position themselves? Working as a freelancer amounts to operating a small business. Your presentation needs to be businesslike and professional and confident. If you're feeling a little wobbly in the confidence department, look for opportunities to do some pro bono work in your community. Or assign yourself some drills and do them.

Finally -- and this will sound counter-intuitive but I promise you it's true -- be more selective now, while you're building toward a strong JSS, than you'll ever be again. Only pursue and only accept contracts that you are absolutely sure you can knock out of the park. As long as you have relatively few contracts, every one counts. You want only delighted clients who leave great feedback -- 5 stars in public and no doubts in private.

So sorry for the losses you've endured, and every wish for good luck and success!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Starting over with a fresh account is not an option, UW does not permit it.

The single contract with poor feedback isn't helping but you can counteract it by overhauling your profile. Clients aren't interested in how you learned what you know or why you want to do it professionally. They want to know how you can help them. My advice is to search for FLs on the platform who are doing the kind of work you want to do and earning rates you want to earn, and study their profiles. What are their credentials and how do they position themselves? Working as a freelancer amounts to operating a small business. Your presentation needs to be businesslike and professional and confident. If you're feeling a little wobbly in the confidence department, look for opportunities to do some pro bono work in your community. Or assign yourself some drills and do them.

Finally -- and this will sound counter-intuitive but I promise you it's true -- be more selective now, while you're building toward a strong JSS, than you'll ever be again. Only pursue and only accept contracts that you are absolutely sure you can knock out of the park. As long as you have relatively few contracts, every one counts. You want only delighted clients who leave great feedback -- 5 stars in public and no doubts in private.

So sorry for the losses you've endured, and every wish for good luck and success!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members