🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting my first client
Page options
70c661f6
Community Member

Getting my first client

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and im wondering if its normal for a client to send a terms and conditions document outside of the upwork platform? Also the email I was sent states that I will undergo probationary period with a probationary bonus of $100 does this seem legit? I am not sure if im suppose to sign this document before signing a contract? Im so lost, any help would be appreciated. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
renata101
Community Member

Hi Denice,

I haven't heard that one before and my Spidey senses are definitely a'buzzing. It sounds like it might violate at least a few of the Upwork Terms of Service.

I think an Upwork moderator should be along shortly to respond to your question (someone with a green Upwork badge). And you can send them some screen shots of your communications with the client.  Don't post those here on the forum because it's not allowed. You can send a direct message to the moderator.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
renata101
Community Member

Hi Denice,

I haven't heard that one before and my Spidey senses are definitely a'buzzing. It sounds like it might violate at least a few of the Upwork Terms of Service.

I think an Upwork moderator should be along shortly to respond to your question (someone with a green Upwork badge). And you can send them some screen shots of your communications with the client.  Don't post those here on the forum because it's not allowed. You can send a direct message to the moderator.

Thank you so much! 

I don't know how long it will take for someone to respond. I did track down a mod who seemed to be active recently and sent her a DM.  The thing you mentioned that's a red flag for me is that the client is telling you that you'll receive a bonus payment rather than setting the contract up with milestones and putting the funds in escrow.

I'm glad you found the forum and posted your question before agreeing to the contract.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Denice, 

I was unable to identify the client you are referring to. Could you please send me a PM with more information about the client? I noticed that all the clients who reached out to you asked you to contact them outside of Upwork. As a gentle reminder, please note that users cannot communicate off Upwork until a contract has been set up on your account (the client sent an offer, and you accepted it). It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

In the meantime, it would be best if you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and this article for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Yes, it has now become a normal part of the rampant scams here, so they are most likley scammers, so don't do that. If they will  send it through Upwork, check it out very carefully. Never communicate off platform until after a contract is in place. If they refuse, block them and report them.  Read this to help stay safe here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members