cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Has anyone worked for **? Are they legit?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
11 of 40

@Goldie K wrote:
This certainly makes me feel like all Internet jobs are scams. I'm new to upworks and this was my first experience obviously a bad one.

Not All internet jobs are scams, but there are scams on the internet.  One has to realize that they are dealing with a complete stranger located who knows where in the world. The problem is that potential freelancers jump right into sites such as this without knowing anything because of the way freelancing is presented. They don't take the time to look around the site, read discussion board and most of all learn the rules and procedures of the site they are on. They think they can do right into working, get any job they apply for, make tons of money and work whenever they feel like it and all they have to do is create an account and a profile.

Because of that, scammers target newbies because newbies will not take the time to "learn the site" and learn the in's and outs of freelancing. I can't begin to count the number of newbies who've posted here AFTER the fact, concerning not only receiving a check, but cashing it, even sending part of the money somewhere else. They have bought software with it, gave out there personal , gave permission to use their amazon account and even accepted jobs to be a dropshipper for someone in another country.

Please take the time to read some posts here so you'll know what to look out for and to read Upwork's TOS.

I hope you didn't cash that check and I sure hope you didn't send part of that money to where ever.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
12 of 40

ABSOLUTELY you should research a company's background. Why wouldn't you? That said, that's not the only part of the vetting process and most companies do have websites and social media presence; it's a scam because they sent you a check to buy software. Anywho, you just have to be wary throughout the process.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 40

No, Lindsey, newbies should NOT research companies that send them invites. That is a key part of the scam. That is how they trick these newbies. They are giving the newbies the names of real companies and real company representatives. The newbies Google these names and are impressed by the legitimacy and money these names represent, and then they get hooked.

What the newbies should be doing is focusing only in the information Upwork provides and on the details of the job. They should focus on the fact that the company has never hired anybody, is not payment verified, and that the job they are doing violates Upwork rules and that there is no official contract in place.

As long as newbies "research" company names and client names, they are going to continue getting caight up in scams, because they don't know what they're doing.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
14 of 40

We are just going to agree to disagree because I don't know how that logically works - that research/vetting clients leads them to scams. Unless you're an actual nincompoop.

Highlighted
Raquel C Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
15 of 40

It is a TOTAL SCAM! He tried to hire me as well and mailed me a check for almost $3,000. I took it to the bank and told them about everything. They informed me it was fraudulent and they took it. I let him know that the bank has contacted local authroties. **Edited for Community Guidelines** IS NOT A REAL PERSON!! The phone lines he texts you from mare NOT REAL NUMBERS! You cannot call them! 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 40

Hi Raquel and others,

I'll follow up with the team regarding clients you have reported and we'll make sure necessary actions are taken.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
17 of 40

**Edited for Community Guidelines** are all scams. If they try and sen you to yahoo messanger or Google hangout. it is a SCAM! 

Highlighted
Aquila L Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
18 of 40
So did anyone ever do any follow up on this guy because I was just offered the sAmerican interview.
Highlighted
19 of 40
It is a TOTAL SCAM! He tried to hire me as well and mailed me a check for almost $3,000. I took it to the bank and told them about everything. They informed me it was fraudulent and they took it. I let him know that the bank has contacted local authroties. **Edited for Community Guidelines** IS NOT A REAL PERSON!! The phone lines he texts you from mare NOT REAL NUMBERS! You cannot call them!
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 40

@Raquel C wrote:
It is a TOTAL SCAM! He tried to hire me as well and mailed me a check for almost $3,000. I took it to the bank and told them about everything.

One of the oldest scam on the Internet.  It has been going for 15 years or more... It takes a special combination of naivity and lack of sense to fall for this. You have to have lived under a rock to not recognize it for what it is.

Anyone who agrees to be sent a check can (and bloody well should) have their Upwork account banned for accepting payment outside the platform.

Seriously, I have no idea how anyone who has an ounce of professionalism and common (??) sense would ever even think for a SECOND that nonsense like that could be genuine.

The fact that this scam is still alive and well after all those years just proves that there are enough fools screaming to be scammed in the most plump, best known ways ever. 

I guess the old saying "There is one born every minute" continues to be true.

Wake the hell UP!

If you stick to the rules it is almost impossible to get scammed. If you choose to break all the rules (of Upwork and doing business in general) you just have to learn the hard way. It takes a pretty special brand of stupid to fall for this.

This is not Kindergarten!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS