Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Have I been scammed?

Ace Contributor
Debra R Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
1 of 13

Hi,

I recently applied for a job and received a message asking if I would sample edit a chapter. I agreed and sent it back along with a clean copy. Then I noticed that this client was interviewing 38 people. Now he wants me to convert the sample to a PDF because the "edits don't show up in Word." I have seen this client many times on Upwork. They ask you to write "Purple Cow" at the top of your proposal. Have I been scammed? I would be extremely grateful for a quick reply.

Thanks!!!

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Yes, you have been scammed. You agreed to provide a free sample.  If each freelancer did the same, the whole book would be edited for free.  Flag the job as asking for free work.  All tests must be paid.

Ace Contributor
Debra R Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
3 of 13

Thank you!

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
4 of 13

PLEASE read the ToS. Unscrupulous clients abound here because they know there are plenty of FLs who don't bother to inform themselves. 

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 13

Debra R wrote:

Hi,

I recently applied for a job and received a message asking if I would sample edit a chapter. I agreed and sent it back along with a clean copy. Then I noticed that this client was interviewing 38 people. Now he wants me to convert the sample to a PDF because the "edits don't show up in Word." I have seen this client many times on Upwork. They ask you to write "Purple Cow" at the top of your proposal. Have I been scammed? I would be extremely grateful for a quick reply.

Thanks!!!


Any job posting that requires me to mention a safe word in my proposal is not worth my time. No purple cows for me, thank you. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 13

Debra R wrote:

I have seen this client many times on Upwork. They ask you to write "Purple Cow" at the top of your proposal. Have I been scammed? I


Debra, as others pointed out, you were scammed. However, don't  dismiss a job post just because it mentions Purple Cow. For better or worse, Purple Cow is often used for the purpose of filtering out proposals from freelancers who don't fully read a job description and follow instructions, because there's an influential business book entitled Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable, which popularized the phrase Purple Cow.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 13

I never saw a purple cow,

I never hope to see one,

But I can tell you anyhow

I'd rather see than be one.

 

- Ogden Nash

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 13

Mary W wrote:

I never saw a purple cow,

I never hope to see one,

But I can tell you anyhow

I'd rather see than be one.

 

- Ogden Nash


Lol Mary ... there was a time when I read many of Nash's "poems". Haven't seen one in a long time!

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
9 of 13

I had no idea where that expression came from.
And I, thought it was due to "Milka's Cow" Cat LOLRobot LOL

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 13

Maria T wrote:

I had no idea where that expression came from.
And I, thought it was due to "Milka's Cow" Cat LOLRobot LOL


It sort of is, as it inpired the title of the book.

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS