cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello oDeskers!

benjamin_edwards
Benjamin E Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
1 of 19
Hello everyone, I'm Ben and I am a web designer / WordPress developer from Warwick in the UK. I have never used sites like this before as all of my clients are local but I want to be able to work remotely and I hear oDesk is best for this. I have only signed up today and just wanted to can some have a look at my profile and maybe give me some suggestions on how to improve it? I am currently adding all my work from my local clients. Look forward to getting to other oDeskers from around the globe, All the best, Ben.
benjamin_edwards
2 of 19
Anyone please?
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
3 of 19
Hi Ben, Welcome. You have a good overview. ( I like the bit about selling sweets!) When you're adding the jobs that you've completed locally, provide a lot of detail, as this is all clients have to judge you by at the moment. Explain the duties thoroughly, so that clients can match you with their job requirements. Also, your overview shouldn't contain contact details. Initial contact should be via oDesk. https://support.odesk.com/entries/23098347-What-should-I-put-in-my-overview- You have a full portfolio, that's good. It's always a good idea to complete oDesk tests. This will support your profile. There's also a 'other experience' section where you can talk about things you haven't already mentioned. All the best Gill
benjamin_edwards
4 of 19
Hello Gill, Thanks for replying back to me and thank you for the feedback, it really helps. Yes I think you are right in saying that I should add more details into each job that I have performed locally. OK about contact details I will remove that right away! I have done a test on your recommendation and have pass and in the top 20%! Thanks again for your help, Ben.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
5 of 19
You're welcome. You're on the right track. I'd say complete as much relevant tests as possible, I think that it shows clients that you're serious about your work. All the best with securing your first few contracts.
benjamin_edwards
6 of 19
Thank you for kinds comments. Have a great Sunday evening! Cheers, Ben.
maverickuk
Ace Contributor
Nick M Member Since: Jul 12, 2011
7 of 19
Hey Ben, Fellow UK oDesker here. I personally couldn't care less about the tests, since the answers are available online from specific "oDesk test answers" websites. They're not worth the paper they're written on (so-to-speak) - that aside, your profile looks fine, you just need lots of feedback. You should (in my opinion) have very low expectations for the amount you're going to get paid before you have any real decent feedback. For example, when i started i was doing complete website design for $80 and now charge on average $300 for a website that would take 2/3 days to complete. If you charge a decent rate from the off-set, you will find that getting jobs will be almost impossible - just keep in mind that feedback speaks volumes.
benjamin_edwards
8 of 19
Hi Nick, Thanks for your post! Ah little gutted about the tests now! Glad a fellow design / programmer thinks my profile looks fine! Yes I think you are right in saying that I should lower my expectation for a short time until I get some jobs / feedback. I have applied for several jobs and have been offer a C++ job which I am not skilled in for a decent amount a month. I will keep applying and see what happens! Thanks again for your feedback it helps! If you think of anything else please let me know, Cheers, Ben.
renginco
Rico E Member Since: Aug 15, 2010
9 of 19
Hi Ben, You may also need to change your profile picture based on oDesk requirement. A number of freelancers had their application quota reduced to zero because of profile pic violation. Cheers!
benjamin_edwards
10 of 19
Hi Rico, Not had any issues with my image as yet!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS