🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help - Do I need permission to end a job? (no...
Page options
codexsoftware
Community Member

Help - Do I need permission to end a job? (no work delivered, no payment received)

New client, set up a "trial" fixed price job with a couple milestones. Client was a nightmare. Last conversation was him yelling and cursing at me right before hanging up the phone.

Do I need his permission to end the job? Does he have any recourse to try to force me to complete the work if I do end the job?

Status: first milestone funded in escrow, I never requested payment for it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

You can end the job at any time. Whatever is in escrow will go back to the client. They can still leave feedback, and even though the public feedback and stars won't show on your profile, any private feedback they leave will affect your JSS if the feedback is poor.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
wescowley
Community Member

You can end the job at any time. Whatever is in escrow will go back to the client. They can still leave feedback, and even though the public feedback and stars won't show on your profile, any private feedback they leave will affect your JSS if the feedback is poor.

Thank you. Confirms my understanding. Unfortunate about the JSS, but worth accepting to not have to proceed any further with this client or get him to accept delivery of work for the milestone (work was not complete in any case). 

tagrendy
Community Member

You don't need permission to end it, but if he hasn't approved the payment, it will be refunded to him automatically. He will also likely leave a bad review.

Thank you. That matches my understanding, but good to have it confirmed.

jr-translation
Community Member

You know that you are a FREElancer, right?

Yes, but definitions get murky when the client is sending emails threatening lawsuits. I'm not in a position to judge the merit of such claims, legally, so I'm trying to be careful and methodical about my decisions. 

I decided to simply end the contract, without claiming any payment (work was not yet complete). 

In this case you should re-read the ToS. They change from time to time, but they clearly define your relationship to the client.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Submit your work for the first funded milestone only and claim that payment, then cancel the contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members